• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My sweat must be corrosive. It seems like my EDC knives always rust on me. I have had 2 ZT0350’s rust. A Spyderco Pm2, and now my Spyderco Shaman is starting to rust. The stop pin is kinda bad.

Maybe I should start carrying cheap throwaway knives now?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I used to work in a pet store, I worked in the fish department, and on Thursdays we got in shipments of fish, and the first time I let out the sal****er fish out (who let the fish out, who!, who!, who let the fish out! sorry couldn't help it) and a day or two later, I noticed my spyderco had started rusting, I couldn't figure out why, then it dawned on me..."sal****er" fish.

for then on, on Thursdays nights after I got home, I wiped down my knife with oil

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Worked with a guy at Galyan's who was on some acne medication that caused chromhidrosis (his was yellowish). It would rust knives minutes after he showed this to the customers (it was a large knife display cabinet that had 2 large glass doors that opened outward). We would wipe them down with an Outer's silicone cloth immediately after he was done.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Some are more corrosive than others. Way back when I was a music major I had to wear gloves to use any school instrument because I f’d things up. Same problem I have with my cheap 1911 compact. Hot sweaty days and it’s tear down and luve time

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have known people that if they touched the blued metal of a shotgun, you could quickly see rust trying to come up. I could carry one all day and it didn't do that. It is remarkable how different people's body chemistry is.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My sweat must be corrosive. It seems like my EDC knives always rust on me. I have had 2 ZT0350’s rust. A Spyderco Pm2, and now my Spyderco Shaman is starting to rust. The stop pin is kinda bad.

Maybe I should start carrying cheap throwaway knives now?

No, do not carry crap if you have good tools already! Rust is going to happen if you maintain a cloud of increased humidity about you (as do I) and don't do something to prevent it. Imagine my reaction when I found substantial rust on an AdV Trailboss I was carrying a lot, but not using very much.

1. Keep the moving parts lubricated properly, which will also help protect against corrosion in places where you can't reach without disassembly. If you have ball or roller bearings, you may need to do something special to keep those clean and working properly.
    2. Wipe-down the steel surfaces including blade, pins, etc. with a clean rag as well as you can at least every few days. You could also use a cloth with silicone impregnated in it, which will offer additional corrosion resistance (but might make surfaces slippery too).
    3. If regular wipe-downs won't do the trick, consider adding a protective coating of something like Turtle Wax.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I worked in a machine shop one time and this one fixture came up with rusty fingerprints all over it. The boss accused me and told me to start eating saltines??? I hadn't had this before (I'm a tool & die maker) so I surface ground 2 pieces of steel without coolant, handled one with bare hands and used gloved hands to hand the other one to the jig grinder operator. His sample rusted up in no time and mine stayed rust free. He had some physical issues going on and that must have produced the rusty fingerprints.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    For many years I was the guy who had the job of wiping down and packing up all of the guns at shows we worked. They had been coon fingered all day by people with God knows what on their hands and I wiped them all down before and after each show with Birchwood Casey's Sheath (now marketed under the name Barricade). We never had any rust or finger etchings on the guns. It contains something that neutralizes the acid in your sweat. I advise trying a thin coat on your knives. And maybe stop eating all those spicy peppers........ I used to shoot on a team with a guy who used to put pepperoncinis on EVERYTHING and if he handled your gun for just 30 seconds his fingerprints were etched all over the gun - even on a stainless gun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Wow. Never considered my spicy food intake would be to blame for rusty guns. I clean em all the time but my 1911 keeps getting the starts of rust.

i eat everyrhing as spicy as possible, i will buy stock in gun oil before i stop eating the spicy

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That is an interesting theory. My brother was the one I referred to about rusting up shotguns so bad. He would put hot sauce on everything he ate.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    You is what you eat....... I was never into eating real hot spicy stuff. I used to take freshly built carbon steel guns to the range in the white with no finish on them yet. With a thin coat of CLP on them I never saw any rust. Eventually they would develop a patina like an old carbon steel knife.

Top Bottom