• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have 8 cut swords that I use for training. I have been hitting it hard this Spring and Summer, 4 sometimes 6 times a week with sword drills, sticky swords, dummy training, the form, etc.

They are getting fairly freckled and dinged up.

Anyone have a recommendation for getting them polished?

Polished only, do NOT need an edge on these. I manage to hurt myself with them unsharpened enough as it is.:D

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    With a title like that, I had to make sure this wasn't in the break room..

I have 8 cut swords that I use for training. I have been hitting it hard this Spring and Summer, 4 sometimes 6 times a week with sword drills, sticky swords, dummy training, the form, etc.

Polished only, do NOT need an edge on these. I manage to hurt myself with them unsharpened enough as it is.:D

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    You can get a Polish kit on eBay for cheap. Basically a powder ball (uchiko) and choji oil. Any scrap rags can be used. I use gun cleaning cloths. You'll run out of oil long before powder. There are alternative methods but this is most common practice for standard blades below show quality.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If it's a practice weapon how about the quick application of a Scotchbrite pad? Maybe a little steel wool. I also use Johnson's Paste Wax on them after tidying them up a bit...then whack away.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

1. Of what metal are the blades made?
    2. What sort of damage has been done and to what extent?
    3. What are your expectations in terms of polishing?

Kits for polishing Japanese blades aren't going to help deep scratches and dings unless you have 300 years to work on them and you're not prone to tendonitis. Depending the metal and construction, bead blasting might be the best alternative. It will hide a lot of damage and a useful finish.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I've used Norton blending wheels on firearms and parts for years. They come in various levels of abrasiveness. You probably need only a fine grade. Available from Brownells and metalworking suppliers.

p_657586970_2.jpg

Top Bottom