• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    As my hunting grows, I am trying to stop borrowing supplies/tools. I have slowly been getting them -- and the time is here for a decent knife. Primary function of the knife is to gut and skin deer. I look at Smokey Mountain Knife Company and my brain locks up. I can't afford tons of $$$ but don't want complete junk. Any help would be great.

Thank you

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    https://usa.palmettostatearmory.com...QZs3GAvC3aMF6h9uTKCZWbyKoD9cZkHxoC3CYQAvD_BwE

Part of the now I believe discontinued "hunt" series from Benchmade. Decent sized orange handled fixed blade made out of S30V steel which for most people is way more than sufficient as it holds a very keen edge a long time. Right around $100, plus it is made in the USA and still has the Benchmade lifetime warranty

The Benchmade "Hunt Series" is not discontinued. I'm a direct dealer with Benchmade, and carry a good selection of "Hunt Series' models.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    Who's dad didn't carry a Buck 110? Such iconic knives. I still have one from when I was a kid, but I think it might have been a knockoff. I'll have to go look at it closely.

Dad carried a 110 for years. can get a wicked edge too. I have his in the safe and can shave arm hairs with it.

I carry one of these because I lose stuff that size, and cant justify a $100+ knife. Lowes sells them for $20.
    https://www.crkt.com/m16-10ks-tanto-black-with-triple-point-serrations-stainless-steel-handle.html

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    timthumb.php

All are great recommendations. After searching the forest floor for a dropped or miss placed expensive or handmade blade that I cherished, I bought one of these. Gerber Freeman Guide.

Less than $30, takes a decent edge, I put a neon green paracord thong on it so it is easy to find when you set it down.

If you do lose it, no big deal.

I have many expensive and custom blades. Carry and use them. Just hate losing one in the woods.

Don

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Here is the deal, for field dressing large game animals like deer. It's all about edge toughness and edge retention. Even less expensive knives with lower quality steels will get the job done if you are willing to touch the edge up during the process, and perform a complete sharpening job after just one field dressing. I have witness several times people that I have hunted with lose the blade edge before the field dressing process was completed.

What you get when you spend a little more money on a higher quality steel is the ability to perform several field dressing jobs before the blade loses it's edge. Also, toughness is very important if you are using your knife to cut/chop through the deer's pelvic bone to remove the anus. Low quality blade steels just won't do this. The edges can/will chip or roll on you.

Just my :twocents: after hunting 30 plus years and being involved in 40 to 50 field dressing processes.

Last edited:

sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    If you walk into WalMart and pick out a Buck knife you like with a 420hc stainless blade (Made in USA) I don't see how you would be disappointed for your intended use.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

Ordered this today after reading this thread...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/MORA-OF-SW...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

$15 shipped, I couldn't say no. Large rubber grip handle, serrated stainless. Will probably order another style after I see how this grip feels in my hands. Need a larger grip due to some arthritis starting...

Will probably order a flexible filet version for this fall.

:ingo:

Top Bottom