• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I used to go to a shop off 54th and Keystone to get all my sharpening done, but they are now closed for good.
    Is there anywhere in the Indianapolis area that sharpens pocket knifes and others as needed on a walk in basis during the day?

Thank You,

:ingo:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Dropped mine off yesterday at Ft. Liberty, a beater S&W Extreme OPNS, a S&W folder, and a Gerber Remix.

Hope to get them back razor sharp for work, as I use a Boker Infinity for EDC.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Good Sam members get free knife sharpening at the Gander Outdoors stores. I have never used the service tough. I can get my own knives "almost hair shaving sharp" using a stone, ceramic rod and strop.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Good Sam members get free knife sharpening at the Gander Outdoors stores. I have never used the service tough. I can get my own knives "almost hair shaving sharp" using a stone, ceramic rod and strop.

I am not sure I would trust some clerk wearing a nametag to sharpen my knives. I can do okay myself but if I want a professional job I want someone that knows what they are doing.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Dropped mine off yesterday at Ft. Liberty, a beater S&W Extreme OPNS, a S&W folder, and a Gerber Remix.

Hope to get them back razor sharp for work, as I use a Boker Infinity for EDC.

Where's this place? My ESEE is getting worn and kind of dull

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I am not sure I would trust some clerk wearing a nametag to sharpen my knives. I can do okay myself but if I want a professional job I want someone that knows what they are doing.

So much this. Free sharpening is likely worse than no sharpening at all.

Like a "free" oil change where they strip your drainplug, massively overtighten the new filter, and use the wrong oil.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So much this. Free sharpening is likely worse than no sharpening at all.

Like a "free" oil change where they strip your drainplug, massively overtighten the new filter, and use the wrong oil.

Sometimes people who charge money for sharpening and have a big reputation among their customers do a poor job of actually putting a usefully sharp edge on knives. Some of them do a great job polishing the bevel, though!

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    If you know someone you trust with your blades, go for it. For me I use my Spyderco Sharpemaker which keeps my knives extremely sharp with very little work.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Sometimes people who charge money for sharpening and have a big reputation among their customers do a poor job of actually putting a usefully sharp edge on knives. Some of them do a great job polishing the bevel, though!

Overpaying isn't a guarantee of excellence. But underpaying is frequently a guarantee of junk.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, not in Indy so I have to make due myself. Arkansas stones (sometimes a bit of honing oil), a strop and also my Spyderco Sharpmaker, and some small circular files for those pesky serrated knives, have kept my blades very sharp and well tended. No rounding of the tips, I was trained by a very good man in sharpening, and then the right rouge on the strop to finish it and you would cut your eyes just looking at the edge on my knives.:cool:

Top Bottom