New Morakniv....A lot of woods knife for $20...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I did some mods this weekend.....Filed the spine to a 90 degree angle, darkened the blade with vinegar and mustard afterward...I rigged a holder for the ferro rod using electrical tape and some half round plastic I found in an old door knob box...It literally snaps into place....
    DqMWrjdXgAA4-5r.jpg

DqMWrjcXQAAyLEf.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Love the Mora knives. I have a hard time not buying one every 1500 show.

I am starting to get addicted...Three weeks ago I had none...Now I have a vintage one with a homemade neck sheath and a handmade copper tube weighted handle with a leather loop strap.....It came in the shop in a box of knives I bought...I'll try to post a pic of it....

DqNCBClX0AECsTu.jpg

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I was looking at getting a Mora yesterday....then I started looking at all the Scandi grind blades....then I started looking at really cool Scandi grind blades that were very pricey.

Then I gave up.

Maybe I need to go back to looking at Mora's again....

....but first, I've got to install the new Gotoh pegs on my banjo.

Priorities.

Gotoh-Brass.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I was looking at getting a Mora yesterday....then I started looking at all the Scandi grind blades....then I started looking at really cool Scandi grind blades that were very pricey.

Then I gave up.

Maybe I need to go back to looking at Mora's again....

....but first, I've got to install the new Gotoh pegs on my banjo.

Priorities.

Gotoh-Brass.jpg

Gorgeous....Dad said SMKW had a whole section with every Mora known...From $12 up to $100 plus....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    MoraKniv is the best value on the knife market in my opinion if your primary need is a cutting tool!

They also make great gifts. Last year I made some people happy with them at Christmas and will do the same this year.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I ordered one from Amazon a few months ago to see how they are. Never arrived. As far as I could tell, it never even shipped.

What did Amazon say when you inquired?

They had the Basic 511 for $7.22 a couple of weeks ago for a short time.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I am starting to get addicted...Three weeks ago I had none...Now I have a vintage one with a homemade neck sheath and a handmade copper tube weighted handle with a leather loop strap.....It came in the shop in a box of knives I bought...I'll try to post a pic of it....

I hope I can see that in the shop sometime, I would like to see how the handle was made. I would love to do something like that to one of mine.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Does that work with the stainless blades?

Nope. What that does to the carbon steel blades is essentially the same as gun blueing, which you can't do to stainless. It's causing a layer of FeO to form, which provides a bit of corrosion resistance (rust is Fe2O3), but not much. I think most people do it for aethetics.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I bought two from Orscheln's Farm supply last week. They were about $12.oo apiece after the 15% off and $5.00 off for joining Orscheln's buyer club. One for my car and one for my wifes. I was disappointed though. I had heard how freaking sharp they were new but these, while sharp, weren't razor sharp. I used one on a rotisserie chicken from Krogers and it cut but not well.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Nope. What that does to the carbon steel blades is essentially the same as gun blueing, which you can't do to stainless. It's causing a layer of FeO to form, which provides a bit of corrosion resistance (rust is Fe2O3), but not much. I think most people do it for aethetics.
    Are the carbon steel blades sharper than stainless? Also, will the stainless blades throw a spark?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I bought two from Orscheln's Farm supply last week. They were about $12.oo apiece after the 15% off and $5.00 off for joining Orscheln's buyer club. One for my car and one for my wifes. I was disappointed though. I had heard how freaking sharp they were new but these, while sharp, weren't razor sharp. I used one on a rotisserie chicken from Krogers and it cut but not well.

Keep in mind that the edges are polished, so they're made for push cutting like you would do to whittle wood, shave arm hair, or cut paper. If you want them to slice meat or any other fibrous material well, you'll need to roughen the edge or apply a microbevel that is not polished. A well-used medium grit diamond rod or stone will do this nicely.

Are the carbon steel blades sharper than stainless? Also, will the stainless blades throw a spark?

Sharpness is going to depend on who sharpened the specific blade at the factory. There will be a range because humans are doing it, but since the geometry is identical for carbon vs stainless for each model and the edges are polished, the initial sharpness should not change just based on the steel.

Throwing sparks from a ferro rod is about sharpness and not the material. The spines of some Moras (Bushcraft, Garberg, Kansbol, LightMyFire, Eldris, etc) have spines with 90 degree angles specifically to make them better scrapers and to allow using them as ferro rod strikers. Other models do not have sharp spines, but you can fix that with a file or a dremel. It will work for either stainless or carbon, it just has to be a sharp enough edge. In fact, you can throw good sparks from a ferro rod with a piece of broken glass (Dave Canterbury has a video).

If you're talking about sparking from being struck with a piece of flint or chirt, it has to be a carbon steel blade. Stainless won't work for that.

Top Bottom