• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Would like nicer folder for EDC. Use would be primarily defense, have some fixed Esee for utility, I’ve narrowed it down (for now anyway) to:

Pro-Tech TR-4.3

Spartan Blade Pallus

Zero Tolerance Hinderer 0393SW

Any suggestions, I’m a knife novice, & don’t really wanna waste $200ish bucks on a turd.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If it's solely for defense, it's pretty hard to beat a TDI on a belt. And it's way cheaper than 200 bucks. For a serious defensive knife, it's hard to beat a fixed blade.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If the primary use will be for defense, then you should seriously think about a knife that has a "wave" feature on it. Or at least has a "spyder hole" on the blade so that a zip tie can be added to assist with the opening.

A ZT 0630 would fit that bill.

Wave'd and/or zip-tied knives are faster to open than even assisted or automatic. And fast opening is key in this instance.

If it'll be a defensive-use only knife, then you're going to want a fixed blade. Fix blades are fastest on the scene, so to speak. Stronger, too. Meaning they aren't gonna fold up on you at the exact moment your whole world is crashing in around you.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    That Pro-Tech is sexy. I'll agree with TF about the wave on a defensive folder though. Can't beat that wave for deployment speed. If looking for something similar to what you listed above, take a look at the Emerson CQC-10.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Spyderco Yojimbo is the only folder I'd even think about. I would NOT trust a liner lock or frame lock on a knife that's primarily for defense. Spyderco compression locks for the win.

Or.....get something more useful for EDC that'll also work for whatever defensive stuff.....PM2. Best EDC ever made for pure utility. It does everything a folder could be asked to do.

If you really want the best lock out there.....Cold Steel. Their knife designs are not the best, but their locks are great.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Word from a lot of "knife guys" is that the Emerson ZT sells is a better Emerson than the Emersons that Emerson sells. :)

Are people actually trusting the ZT framelocks? Last I heard, they still snap shut on spine whacks. Not what I'd want in a defensive knife.....I'd look for a compression or triad lock.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Thank You INGO, keep it coming. I now know a bit about liner vs frame vs button lock, & a bunch of others. Had no idea what a wave was, now I know, & def., see the benefit. I’ve got a LOT more to learn, really enjoying the education & research.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Would like nicer folder for EDC. Use would be primarily defense, have some fixed Esee for utility, I’ve narrowed it down (for now anyway) to:

Pro-Tech TR-4.3

Spartan Blade Pallus

Zero Tolerance Hinderer 0393SW

Any suggestions, I’m a knife novice, & don’t really wanna waste $200ish bucks on a turd.

Those are all excellent knives, but based on the specs I'd go with the Pro-Tech. It gives you an extra half inch of reach and it's ground from thinner stock, so it will be easier to make it a better slicer than the other two.

Some other good options for defense-oriented folders:

• Spyderco Yojimbo
    • Spyderco Karahawk (might require more training than the others)
    • Emerson Combat Karambit (might require more training than the others)
    • Emerson Super Karambit (might require more training than the others)
    • Emerson - any of the larger folders

Given that, if the primary intent is defense, no folder will ever make the cut (pun intended) if you have the option of carrying a fixed blade. In a bad situation, it will be tough enough to access and draw a fixed blade. Doing the same and adding the need to open (even with an auto) adds complications that are less than ideal. Autos can fail, flippers can fail, Wave opening can fail, even using a thumb stud or hole can fail or cost time you don't necessarily have. If a folder is the only option, then you have to work within that constraint, but were I carrying a blade specifically for defense, it would be a fixed blade.

Regardless of what knife you get, if you have not already done so, learn how to access it under stress, learn how to use it effectively, and learn as much as you can about anatomy. For the last part, spots that you would prefer to target to stop an attacker as quickly as possible may not be intuitive and may be very different from targets that are more likely to eventually lead to death.

You should probably have an inert trainer that matches it in that regard as well.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Word from a lot of "knife guys" is that the Emerson ZT sells is a better Emerson than the Emersons that Emerson sells. :)

This is true, The ZT Emersons are better than Emerson Emersons. Same with the Hinderer colabs. ZTs have a much better action and the blade steel is easy to sharpen. I was extremely underwhelmed by Hinderer's S35VM and up until recently the actions were so hit or miss that for a $500 knife, it was kinda sad considering the prestige once involved with the XM line.

Are people actually trusting the ZT framelocks? Last I heard, they still snap shut on spine whacks. Not what I'd want in a defensive knife.....I'd look for a compression or triad lock.

First time I've heard that, but they're production folders, anything can happen with batches, same with midtechs.

I've always been torn on spine whacks for testing anyway (on a folder you never plan to baton with). There might be more to it but defensively I'd imagine you'd slash and the knife would have rearward force, not forward. Plus your hand would be putting pressure against the lock as well

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is true, The ZT Emersons are better than Emerson Emersons. Same with the Hinderer colabs. ZTs have a much better action and the blade steel is easy to sharpen. I was extremely underwhelmed by Hinderer's S35VM and up until recently the actions were so hit or miss that for a $500 knife, it was kinda sad considering the prestige once involved with the XM line.

First time I've heard that, but they're production folders, anything can happen with batches, same with midtechs.

I've always been torn on spine whacks for testing anyway (on a folder you never plan to baton with). There might be more to it but defensively I'd imagine you'd slash and the knife would have rearward force, not forward. Plus your hand would be putting pressure against the lock as well

After I saw the video with all of the ZTs failing the spine whacks, I tested mine. None of them failed. I won't speculate why someone has a large collection of ZTs and all of them fail with a pretty minimal whack on the spine.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    After I saw the video with all of the ZTs failing the spine whacks, I tested mine. None of them failed. I won't speculate why someone has a large collection of ZTs and all of them fail with a pretty minimal whack on the spine.

I was curious (especially since I carried my 0850 today)

I tried my remaining ZTs, a 0850, 0450, 0562BLK Sprint Run, none of them failed. Didn't whack the bejeezus out of them either but they were solid hits

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was curious (especially since I carried my 0850 today)

I tried my remaining ZTs, a 0850, 0450, 0562BLK Sprint Run, none of them failed. Didn't whack the bejeezus out of them either but they were solid hits

I'll bet that if you kept doing it over and over you could make them fail. :laugh:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Only ZT I have ever seen fail was an original run 0560, sent it back to ZT and the problem was fixed. Never seen that issue in any other ZT.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Good to hear the first hand experience with the ZT's here. Sounds like they fixed the issue a while ago.

Top Bottom