Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ACC
    Expert

User Info Menu

Can't bring myself to carry an expensive knife

I see all these posts about guys EDCing Benchmades, Spydercos, ZTs. etc. Excellent knives all worth their expensive price tag. However, I just cannot bring myself to EDC a knife that expensive as mine get used as a screwdriver, box cutter, paper slicer, tree pruner, etc and get dinged up accordingly. I find myself doing just fine with some S&W, Boker, Schrade or whatever other decent automatic knives I can find for under $40.

How do you expensive knife EDCers do it? Baby your knives? Have deep pockets ($), just not care?

Hop

User Info Menu

>$100 is more of an after work dress knife than an EDC. My EDC Spyderco Delica & Endura get to do the grunt work.

User Info Menu

For work i carry cheaper knives. Kershaw, Crkt, etc for everyday use.
    Keep my microtech otf on me but doesn't see the everyday duties my cheap ones see

User Info Menu

EDC knife is an assisted open Kershaw Blem.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.

User Info Menu

What each person considers expensive varies widely. When I was a poor college student, I carried a $9 Winchester folding knife, and I thought of Kershaw as an expensive option and Spyderco, etc. as just gaudy. Now I have a Kershaw every day and frequently wonder if the Spyderco wouldn't be a better option after all.

Everything is relative to your income level and how long you've been at that level.
    "The problem with internet quotations is that many are not genuine." -Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

Typically, I carry a CRKT M16 (which I can open as faster that any assisted opener), but if I'm wearing wool trousers & blazer, then I carry my Microtech OTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by printcraft View Post
    I have received and I have given. Usually at different times. But sometime at the same time.

Tired Of Winning

User Info Menu

I don't carry "expensive" knives either. My $100 Benchmades aren't screwdrivers, pry-bars or wire strippers though, except in an emergency.

Those tools live in a toolbox or maybe on the Leatherman if that sort of mobility use is needed. Purpose built knives like box cutters and others have their place.

I prefer to keep my EDC pretty sharp, just in case I need to shave an assailant off of me.

While I've taken to carrying a Benchmade neck knife all the time, my "at the ranch" blades are typically inexpensive easily replaceable carbon steel blades:

These get lost, broken, hopelessly abused or maybe even given away and Amazon will bring me a new one in two days, for less than $20.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Im on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Ultratech D/E every day since I got it about 2 years ago. I use it daily. It has wear on the body from being dropped, dinged, ran into tables etc. Functions perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinNFluff View Post
    At a family gathering, my sister was getting ready to leave. She walked up and gave me a hug and said "Your phone is poking me." I smiled and replied simply with "That's not my phone".
    Quote Originally Posted by Leggdpms View Post
    ...he said alright sir and shaked my hard and said he has respect...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow8088 View Post
    I cocked my head to the side a little and was admiring his piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    And seriously, where are those testicles being served? I want to just shove a handful into my mouth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    I don't carry "expensive" knives either. My $100 Benchmades aren't screwdrivers, pry-bars or wire strippers though, except in an emergency.

Those tools live in a toolbox or maybe on the Leatherman if that sort of mobility use is needed. Purpose built knives like box cutters and others have their place.

I prefer to keep my EDC pretty sharp, just in case I need to shave an assailant off of me.

While I've taken to carrying a Benchmade neck knife all the time, my "at the ranch" blades are typically inexpensive easily replaceable carbon steel blades:

These get lost, broken, hopelessly abused or maybe even given away and Amazon will bring me a new one in two days, for less than $20.
    Opinel N8 is a popular choice for EDC.
    I gave mine to a fellow INGOer.

They make a Rhino model with a blunt, named after our favorite self-mutilating pachyderm.

Marksman

User Info Menu

1541619083671581138097.jpg
    I wear my benchmade as my edc. But my knife rotates for specialty knives as needed. I like esee for bushcraft, leatherman and milwaukee folding razor.. Etc. Im not afraid to use my benchmade. It used to be a drop point with serations. I keep it sharp and maintained. I thinknof it like i do my cc. Its a tool. I spent what i wanted to have a tool i can count on. I bought it knowing it was going to get used and possibly abused.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast