• ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    May not be the right place for this, but oh well

I had a 10 year old Leatherman Wave that I had broken the screw driver blade off down by the swivel area, causing the knife blade not to lock open unless I rotated the the swivel of the broken blade.
    I use this for work every day. Which made it a pain in the ass when the knife would fold up on me.

I knew Leatherman had a warranty policy. So off to the net I went about 3 weeks ago. I filled out the information they requested, making sure I checked the repair or replace box. Printed off the packing slip to be enclosed in the box, and dropped it in the mail.

Fast forward 3 weeks.
    They sent a note in the box saying- That the style of my Wave had been changed and up-dated. No longer did I have to open the Wave to get the knife out...Yeah.
    They sent me the newest style of Wave, 2 knife blades, all the rest of the features are the same with a few small differences. No longer is the Philips blade fixed, it's reversible to a reg. blade. Which just seems like it will end up getting lost.

Aside from that, I'm a happy camper!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I had a 10 year old Leatherman Wave that I had broken the screw driver blade off down by the swivel area, causing the knife blade not to lock open unless I rotated the the swivel of the broken blade.
    I use this for work every day. Which made it a pain in the ass when the knife would fold up on me.

I knew Leatherman had a warranty policy. So off to the net I went about 3 weeks ago. I filled out the information they requested, making sure I checked the repair or replace box. Printed off the packing slip to be enclosed in the box, and dropped it in the mail.

Fast forward 3 weeks.
    They sent a note in the box saying- That the style of my Wave had been changed and up-dated. No longer did I have to open the Wave to get the knife out...Yeah.
    They sent me the newest style of Wave, 2 knife blades, all the rest of the features are the same with a few small differences. No longer is the Philips blade fixed, it's reversible to a reg. blade. Which just seems like it will end up getting lost.

They do have good customer service and overall you have a better tool. It also has the replaceable hard wire cutters now, correct?

I wouldn't worry about losing the screwdriver bit as long as you keep it in the tool.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    They do have good customer service and overall you have a better tool. It also has the replaceable hard wire cutters now, correct?

I wouldn't worry about losing the screwdriver bit as long as you keep it in the tool.

Replaceable cutters are the next step up.

I recently bought the next step up, the Surge. basically the same thing but bigger and a few tweaks like the scissors are beefed up and external and the file/woodsaw can be swapped out for eachother. We'll see how the holster fares, I like the old leather wave holster except the loose snap... replaced mine more than once for the loose snap and the new snap was loose in no time. booo for cheap snaps on an otherwise great holster.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Replaceable cutters are the next step up.

I recently bought the next step up, the Surge. basically the same thing but bigger and a few tweaks like the scissors are beefed up and external and the file/woodsaw can be swapped out for eachother. We'll see how the holster fares, I like the old leather wave holster except the loose snap... replaced mine more than once for the loose snap and the new snap was loose in no time. booo for cheap snaps on an otherwise great holster.

You're correct! The Wave Plus has the replaceable wire cutters. I dented the cutters on several old school Leatherman tools back in the day trying to cut wire hangers (when they were still made of solid steel wire and not whatever crap they are now). Having wire cutters that are both harder as well as replaceable is a winner.

I think you'll like the Surge. It's heavy, but it's the most capable tool Leatherman makes. I wish I could have the file and saw in it at the same time, though. I never use the scissors, so I'd gladly forego those in lieu of having both the saw and file onboard at the same time.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

Fast forward 3 weeks.

I used my leatherman daily at work doing maintenance, mainly the screwdriver, needle nose, wire strippers and cutters. I wore it out and paid $12 shipping to send it back and get refurbished. My most used knife ever.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I used my leatherman daily at work doing maintenance, mainly the screwdriver, needle nose, wire strippers and cutters. I wore it out and paid $12 shipping to send it back and get refurbished. My most used knife ever.

I use a Leatherman (or similar multi-tool) pretty much every day. Needle nose pliers that you can have with you all the time are just handy.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I have one of the first. It has the file, saw, scissors, Phillips screwdriver, regular screwdriver, can opener, bottle opener, lanyard loop, a knife or two, needle nose, wire cutters. Made my job easier carrying less tools.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Gotta have the wave for the diamond file (I end up sharpening everyone else's blades) and the reversible micro screwdriver (for glasses hinge screws). Have never lost any of the reversible bits in more than 10 years. Did break one though.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    You're correct! The Wave Plus has the replaceable wire cutters. I dented the cutters on several old school Leatherman tools back in the day trying to cut wire hangers (when they were still made of solid steel wire and not whatever crap they are now). Having wire cutters that are both harder as well as replaceable is a winner.

I think you'll like the Surge. It's heavy, but it's the most capable tool Leatherman makes. I wish I could have the file and saw in it at the same time, though. I never use the scissors, so I'd gladly forego those in lieu of having both the saw and file onboard at the same time.

I do like it. I use scissors rarely but more than the saw and these are a BIG step up from the Wave scissors. The saw just rides in a pocket in the back of the holster, if needed it only takes a few seconds to swap it out.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    today i went into menards in goshen got the wave + took it to the customer service gave them my old one, and walked out with the new one. took 2 mins. my old one was a wave not the + . my old one the tip would twist, the cutters were in good shape. new one seams nice

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I do like it. I use scissors rarely but more than the saw and these are a BIG step up from the Wave scissors. The saw just rides in a pocket in the back of the holster, if needed it only takes a few seconds to swap it out.

The only scissors in multi-tools I've used that worked the way they should were all Victorinox SAKs. Maybe I'm just not doing it right, but the scissors even in my Surge don't work that well.

today i went into menards in goshen got the wave + took it to the customer service gave them my old one, and walked out with the new one. took 2 mins. my old one was a wave not the + . my old one the tip would twist, the cutters were in good shape. new one seams nice

That's a win!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The only scissors in multi-tools I've used that worked the way they should were all Victorinox SAKs. Maybe I'm just not doing it right, but the scissors even in my Surge don't work that well.

That's a win!

I’ve been very pleased with my Surge scissors.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    The only scissors in multi-tools I've used that worked the way they should were all Victorinox SAKs. Maybe I'm just not doing it right, but the scissors even in my Surge don't work that well!

the scissors on my wave work good for the size of them. ive replaced the wave 2 times. both times i exchanged at menards.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Cutting Paracord with the scissors on my Wave is a pain in the neck. They just don't seem to work very well for that, and never have. Other than that it's the best multitool I've ever used.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Cutting Paracord with the scissors on my Wave is a pain in the neck. They just don't seem to work very well for that, and never have. Other than that it's the best multitool I've ever used.

If only you had something else available . . . something sharp, perhaps intended for cutting things like rope. I know it's probably possible to incorporate a feature like that, but I'm not sure how it would be done.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If only you had something else available . . . something sharp, perhaps intended for cutting things like rope. I know it's probably possible to incorporate a feature like that, but I'm not sure how it would be done.

Lol. That's what I usually (always) resort to. I just wish the scissors did a better job.

Top Bottom