• ...and so much more!
  • typo31

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Whiteland
    Anyone have the qualifications or know someone that does? My grandfather is Japanese and gave me a sword that he said needs to be insured. Insurance company says I need a written appraisal, but they didn't know anyone that could do it. I have contacted local auction houses and a couple appraisers that I found online, but none of them were able to do it. There are some that aren't local and ask that I send it to them. That is going to be costly and I worry that it might get damaged or may never see it again if I send it out. Any assistance or leads would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I know someone who might be able to help you. Let me track him down. Feel free to pm me if you don’t hear in a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

typo31

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Whiteland
    Thank you. Any leads are appreciated. I still can’t believe the insurance company that requires the appraisal has zero recommendations. I would think they would have all kinds of contacts to help get policies started and bring in extra $$.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Everything with those things is in the fine details. Old blades attached to newer handles and such, they are really a piece of art.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I'm local to Indy and know enough to give you a rough idea on how much you should spend appraising/maintaining/etc, and do know a very knowledgeable collector a couple of hours from here who can improve on that, and probably knows a detail expert if that's needed. Feel free to IM me or email.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    The sword type is a tachi, btw, and that appears to be newish (under a hundred years) as far as current fittings go, intended for dress wear.

typo31

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Whiteland
    Thank you for all the info. I am out of town at the moment, but will get in touch via messaging once I get back home.

typo31

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Whiteland
    Mr. Williamson is very knowledgeable. I truly appreciate the time he spent educating me and providing references for me.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I'm really glad someone has been able to help you, that looks like a nice sword.

This is neither here, nor there, but I am curious. The sword looks to me like it is displayed upside down, handle at the bottom. Is there a reason for this?
    I'm asking not because it really matters to me how you display your sword, I'm just wondering if your grandfather knows something I don't and I could learn something.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I'm really glad someone has been able to help you, that looks like a nice sword.

This is neither here, nor there, but I am curious. The sword looks to me like it is displayed upside down, handle at the bottom. Is there a reason for this?
    I'm asking not because it really matters to me how you display your sword, I'm just wondering if your grandfather knows something I don't and I could learn something.

That's standard for that type of display. The mass is toward the bottom and it balances better.

Top Bottom