• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I'll apologize in advance for the length of this post. I tend to ramble...

I got into knives a few years ago, thanks to the purchase of a Benchmade Bone Collector and a Spyderco Manix2 I bought used from the classifieds here from either Que or Rhino. I have a pretty wide variety now, mostly Kershaw, mostly cheap(ish). My main concerns are the 2 I mentioned above and my 3 ZT knives, a 0562, a 0566CF and a 0350. I want to be able to sharpen and maintain them (and all of the others, too.)

Upon the recommendation of someone from a FB group (who seemed like he knew what he was talking about) I bought a Spyderco Sharpmaker. I've never really gotten the hang of using it. I'm not sure I have the patience required. I used it on all of my kitchen knives with poor to moderate results. I've been afraid to use it on my pocket knives, especially those with better quality steel.

So as a Christmas present to myself, I bought a Ken Onion Workshop. It will be here in a couple of days. I haven't read a bad review of it yet. I'd like to know the thoughts of anyone who has used one. I'd like to be able to sharpen anything from 14C28N and AUS-8 to Elmax and C35VN. Is that possible with the Workshop? And again, I don't have a lot of patience. LOL

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Get some good advice on technique. I rounded out the point on several knives figuring it out. The blade was shatp for sure though. You also go tgrough belts quickly. Keep a couple spares.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I own one and there is a learning curve! Go to a flea market or goodwill and buy a few cheap knives to practice on, cause it’s very easy to round the tip off! Trust me

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I also couldn't get the hang of a Sharpmaker. I sold the one that I had.

I personally believe there's a huge flaw in the Sharpmaker in that it forces the user to hold his/her arm/wrist/hand such that the blade is perfectly perpendicular to the working surface in order to draw against the angled stones.

I've read many glowing reviews of the thing - many here on INGO.

I'd rather have a system where the blade is fixed in a position and a stone is passed along it at the required (And stable) angle. But that's me.

I have another Sharpmaker that I found in my F-I-L's house. I need to sell it, too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I also couldn't get the hang of a Sharpmaker. I sold the one that I had.

I personally believe there's a huge flaw in the Sharpmaker in that it forces the user to hold his/her arm/wrist/hand such that the blade is perfectly perpendicular to the working surface in order to draw against the angled stones.

I've read many glowing reviews of the thing - many here on INGO.

I'd rather have a system where the blade is fixed in a position and a stone is passed along it at the required (And stable) angle. But that's me.

I have another Sharpmaker that I found in my F-I-L's house. I need to sell it, too.

I have this kit and it works very well for me. But in that I have a lot of time invested in the proper use of stones for smithing on 1911's and other aspects of hnd work with shaping tools. 2nd nature to me.
    I love the kit. I use it on everything from the spouses kitchen knives to my own mid to high end pieces. No kit will work for everyone.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I shudder at the thought of a person that can't sharpen a knife by hand with Arkansas stones, oil and good technique, putting a knife to a belt sander.

As others have stated, get some cheap knives to practice on. Even if done correctly, I would expect excess material removal to shorten the life of your knives.

If you don't abuse your knives and nick them up, very little is required to keep a knife sharp. I use a leather strop board to touch up blades much more often then having to resort to stones to maintain a razor sharp edge.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Spyderco Triangle Sharpener kit is what I use most but I still use basic oil stones too, and a strop. Keeps them sharp and for me, it is easy.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    Rounded tips comes from not stopping the belt while in contact with the tip. Bad points are lack of proper grits for belts(can fill gaps from Worksharp)and belt is sharpening up on one side of blade and down on the other.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Rounded tips comes from not stopping the belt while in contact with the tip. Bad points are lack of proper grits for belts(can fill gaps from Worksharp)and belt is sharpening up on one side of blade and down on the other.
    Well, I learned how to sharpen and strop from an old guy who did it for a living back when people used to take stuff to him for this, he would sharpen them on a stone then stop some of them if it was asked using the right stuff on the strop. He taught me and I have never forgotten what he told me either, I still use the old strop he gave me, though I also have others now that I have different grits on, makes it easier though you still have to clean the stones and strops of the metal they get put into them. I guess it just is easier for me, though some of the new metals used aren't easily sharpened this way, but then I tend to make sure I get the older metals, they work and have worked well for me for years. But that is me, I know a lot of folks love the newer stuff because they don't have to sharpen them as often now need to really care well for their knives. The new ones are easier for them, especially if they don't use the knife for anything too hard on them. It is all how you like and what you know that makes the difference, and I sure am not someone who is gonna tell you it is wrong if you disagree with me.:)

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was given a Lansky Sharpener kitfor Christmas way back when I was I was in Boy Scouts. I have always like that it has a small vise like fixture to hold the knife and the stones have rods that slip into the fixture at the chosen angle. I have never had any complaints with how well it works.
    I also have a few of those Carbide V sharpeners for a quick touch up if needed.
    I coworker friend of mine does some knife making and uses a Wicked Edge system. Like its name it puts a wicked edge on a blade. Looks like I could easily lose a finger with a system like that but it does work well

Top Bottom