Storage of an Auto knife, Open or Closed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    When storing an auto knife, is it best to store them open so that the springs don't weaken or are the springs such that it is ok to store them closed.
    Thanks in advance for the input.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Depends on the type of auto knife, like for example with a Microtech "Double Action" Out The Front the springs are never under tension until you activate the knife. I have an older antique switchblade that I store open out of paranoia but my newer stuff just like my AR magazines I keep loaded, the switchblades are stored with the blades in the "closed" position (and with no negative side effects as of yet) but I really only personally deal in Microtech autos.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    OK, from my years of experience as a gunsmith, I found that even under tension, a spring isn't likely to care whether you leave them open or closed.

It is the times of opening and closing that cause a spring to wind up breaking. And wearing out, loaded magazine feed perfectly after leaving them loaded for years.

At this time, because it is easier for me, I store my switchblades of all sorts, closed.

Last edited:

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Inherited a side opening auto knife of unknown vintage from my father when he passed in 1980. Have no idea how long he had it before that date, but it’s been stored closed for at least that long and still works fine when used. I wouldn’t worry about how you store one; just do whatever you like.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    For years I stored all of my Godfathers closed. When holding the knife horizontal with blade down the blade would not swing down and up into the lock position. Started storing them in the open position and now they all have enough "snap" to swing open and lock from the horizontal position. Now I store all autos open.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for all of the input. I think I will store them open.

Since there are different designs, some of which have a spring that also closes the knife, I would contact the manufacturer of your particular auto and ask for their recommendation.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    This seems like the question;

“Should I store my mags full of empty”

Based on what I’ve read, I think springs get worn from use, not storage.

I’m currently storing my autos in the closed position, and haven’t noticed any decrease in speed. Although very few are more than a decade old

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom