Are Chris Reeve Knives back in production and available again?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Are Chris Reeve Knives back in production and available again? The reason I ask is that I came across the Chris Reeve Professional Soldier knife and it caught my eye. I had thought that they sold out their designs to schrade and closed shop. Am I just running across old outdated websites that don't realize they're out of stock or are these getting back on the market?

Just curious.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've never seen more Chris Reeve knives on more knife websites ever before than I have recently. Blade HQ has pages and pages of them, GP Knives and DLT the same. I do believe they discontinued the Professional Soldier though. But but honestly if you've never handled one you're not missing anything. It is an over priced, poorly designed knife that could have been so much better. If the handle didn't have finger grooves and if they deleted the thumb ramp then it would be a great EDC fixed blade. But unless you have Hobbit sized hands then the finger grooves will be to close together and the thumb ramp will dig into the meat of your hand. Also the sheath that comes with the knife is useless.

KnivesShipFree's house brand makes a slightly smaller redesigned version called the Hiawatha. If the blade was slightly longer it would be the Professional Soldier perfected

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The only reason something would be out of production is if it were discontinued. Sebenzas and the like have been flowing like water.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Per Wiki:
    • Professional Soldier: production 2008 – 2017. Fixed blade knife designed in collaboration with William Harsey, with 86 mm (3.375") CPM S30V stainless steel with choice of spearpoint, insingo, or tanto blade, and cut-out in handle for use as a shackle wrench.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Are Chris Reeve Knives back in production and available again? The reason I ask is that I came across the Chris Reeve Professional Soldier knife and it caught my eye. I had thought that they sold out their designs to schrade and closed shop. Am I just running across old outdated websites that don't realize they're out of stock or are these getting back on the market?

Just curious.

As a direct dealer with Chris Reeve Knives, I can assure you that Chris Reeve Knives never closed their doors or sold out to any other manufacturer/company. As for the Professional Soldier model, it is a discontinued model. 2017 was the last year CRK manufactured them. You are probably seeing old new stock, especially for the models that have a spear point or a tanto blade. Insingo blade models where discontinued well before 2017.

Last edited:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Per Wiki:
    • Professional Soldier: production 2008 – 2017. Fixed blade knife designed in collaboration with William Harsey, with 86 mm (3.375") CPM S30V stainless steel with choice of spearpoint, insingo, or tanto blade, and cut-out in handle for use as a shackle wrench.

While some of the early models may have used CPM S30V steel, ever since Chris Reeve helped Crucible Particle Metallurgy (CPM) develop S35VN steel in 2009, S35VN steel is what Chris Reeve Knives uses in all of their production models with the exception of models that have Damascus blades, and a few limited edition models.

Last edited:

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    While some of the early models may have used CPM S30V steel, ever since Chris Reeve helped Crucible Particle Metallurgy (CPM) develop S35VN steel in 2009, S35VN steel is what Chris Reeve Knives uses in all of their production models with the exception of models that have Damascus blades, and a few limited edition models.
    My point in posting this information from Wikipedia was that this knife was discontinued in 2017, not the steel it was made with.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    As a direct dealer with Chris Reeve Knives, I can assure you that Chris Reeve Knives never closed their doors or sold out to any other manufacturer/company. As for the Professional Soldier model, it is a discontinued model. 2017 was the last year CRK manufactured them. You are probably seeing old new stock, especially for the models that have a spear point or a tanto blade. Insingo blade models where discontinued well before 2017.

I thought I remembered reading that they sold their designs to schrade back when they were coming out with their "extreme survival" hollow handle survival knives. If they're still up and running that's good news.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    they sold their designs to schrade .

god I hope not, cheap crappy steel that dulls when you look at it... I want a carbon fiber scale sebenza, but if they ever sell their designs to schrade, and schrade starts making them, no thank you!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    god I hope not, cheap crappy steel that dulls when you look at it... I want a carbon fiber scale sebenza, but if they ever sell their designs to schrade, and schrade starts making them, no thank you!

I was under the impression that the only designs they sold to Schrade were for the hollow handle knives.

I wish I had bought one of those long ago. A good friend of mine has had one as long as I've known him and has been beating on it for the past twenty years without issue.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I was under the impression that the only designs they sold to Schrade were for the hollow handle knives.

I wish I had bought one of those long ago. A good friend of mine has had one as long as I've known him and has been beating on it for the past twenty years without issue.

the bad news is, if the did sell to schrade, it'll suck, the good news is you'll be able to buy them at walmart for 19.99!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Yep, me too. I was originally excited about the schrade's because I was thinking it'd be fun for $50 instead of $450 for one of those knives. Then I got the schrade in my hand and realized I had a schrade level of knockoff quality. Just not the same.

Top Bottom