Join INGunOwners For Free

Poll: What type of blade do you like best on a folder?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    It's been a long time since I've encountered a new box cutter blade that I would consider sharp!
    Box cutter blades are usually sharper than the average "non-knife-guy" dull pocket knife.It's why they consider box cutter blades sharp.

Of course if you keep your EDC blade razor sharp then no commercial blade is sharp enough to you.

I'm always amazed by the number of people who use dull blades everyday.But to them it's as sharp as a blade can be.
    Then you give them your EDC knife to try and they are like "OMG that thing is crazy sharp", you test the edge and think "yeah, I need to sharpen that thing it's getting dull".

Also a lot of people injure themselves with dull knives.

If I see someone struggling to cut something with a dull knife I happilly provide them with a properlly sharp blade, before they slip and stab their leg.

User Info Menu

If it stays in your pocket all the time because it's not a multi function tool and only there to stab people, it's not really important what edge it has.
    You can make excuses or you can make ready.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
    Which type of blade do you like best for an EDC folder? Partially serrated or plain edge?

Sometimes you find a knife you like but they only offer it with serrations, or without serrations.

Is it a deal breaker for you?

I'm not sure which is the most popular in the industry.I've seen several knife models where the plain edge version was out of stock.

My EDC folder is also a back up weapon, so it's without serrations for me. It's a deal breaker for me to buy, but I do have partially serrated folders that were gifts.
    Jeff Riley
    Owner/Operator
    Self-Preservation Training, LLC
    www.selfpreservationtraining.com
    Facebook@selfpreservationtraining

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
    Box cutter blades are usually sharper than the average "non-knife-guy" dull pocket knife.It's why they consider box cutter blades sharp.

Of course if you keep your EDC blade razor sharp then no commercial blade is sharp enough to you.

I'm always amazed by the number of people who use dull blades everyday.But to them it's as sharp as a blade can be.
    Then you give them your EDC knife to try and they are like "OMG that thing is crazy sharp", you test the edge and think "yeah, I need to sharpen that thing it's getting dull".

Also a lot of people injure themselves with dull knives.

If I see someone struggling to cut something with a dull knife I happilly provide them with a properlly sharp blade, before they slip and stab their leg.
    This is something I'd like to learn. Is it more of a quick tricks and tips thing or a lifetime to master kind of thing? Because I'm 50 and could just keep buying new knives... Seriously though, would you have any good links on where to start? I currently have the Spyderco Sharpmaker, a few stones and a steel but really struggle with getting the really nice edge you are talking about, especially with serrations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ditcherman View Post
    This is something I'd like to learn. Is it more of a quick tricks and tips thing or a lifetime to master kind of thing? Because I'm 50 and could just keep buying new knives... Seriously though, would you have any good links on where to start? I currently have the Spyderco Sharpmaker, a few stones and a steel but really struggle with getting the really nice edge you are talking about, especially with serrations.
    Sadly im not an expert when it comes to sharpening.I mainly use pocket sharpeneres that require no skills to use.

Buying new knives wouldn't be the solution since a lot of knives don't come as sharp as they could be from the factory.

You could start by watching some tutorial videos on Youtube to see if you are using the Spyderco Sharpemaker correctly.
    If you are not happy with the edge it could be because of your technique but also because of the type of steel used in your knife.

User Info Menu

Deal breaker for me. Plain edge only.
    Nothing is everything, but everything is something. - Ayoob

mrm

User Info Menu

+1 plain edge, but I'll consider a partial serrated if it's a good deal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosermann View Post
    Deal breaker for me. Plain edge only.
    Me too. I've passed on some excellent deals because it was the partially serrated version.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

I like the serrations in the bush but find it too time consuming to sharpen in the field.

Plinker

User Info Menu

It's not a deal breaker either way, but I typically go with a partially serrated one. I work with wire and cables from time to time and the serrated edge is incredibly helpful.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast