• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What type of blade do you like best on a folder?

• Total voters

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Which type of blade do you like best for an EDC folder? Partially serrated or plain edge?

Sometimes you find a knife you like but they only offer it with serrations, or without serrations.

Is it a deal breaker for you? :dunno:

I'm not sure which is the most popular in the industry.I've seen several knife models where the plain edge version was out of stock.

plain-or-serrated-emerson-knives.jpg

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Personally, I prefer non-serrated blades. I have a feew serrated ones but the ones I carry most are not serrated. IF you are going to cut a lot of stuff, like cordage or things like that, then get a serrated blade.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Not a deal-breaker but I much prefer a plain edge. I've never had much need for serrations on an EDC knife, or really anything other than a bread knife for that matter.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Not a deal-breaker but I much prefer a plain edge. I've never had much need for serrations on an EDC knife, or really anything other than a bread knife for that matter.

Same here.

I do see a lot of knife models offered with partially serrated blades though, so some people must like that.

Maybe serrations are more appealing to "non-knife-guys" who don't know how to sharpen their blade, since the serrations usually stay sharp longer than the plain edge.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Voted for both (because who doesn't need more knifes) but prefer the straight edge. I don't see that much use for serrations and it's easier to sharpen the plain blades.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Maybe serrations are more appealing to "non-knife-guys" who don't know how to sharpen their blade, since the serrations usually stay sharp longer than the plain edge.

My first knife I carried had a serrated blade. I never sharpened it and the serrations stayed sharp for cutting plastic packages open and the like. So I still prefer them but it's not a deal breaker.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    My first knife I carried had a serrated blade. I never sharpened it and the serrations stayed sharp for cutting plastic packages open and the like. So I still prefer them but it's not a deal breaker.

my first real knife I bought (not from a flea market!) was a spyderco endura full serrations (old school, plastic clip molded in the handle) and I used it at work (cutting plastic banding off boxes), and when it got dull (and the pocket clip broke off) it got thrown into a box, and I bought something to replace it, I tried to sharpen it later in life, never could get it sharp as they did from the factory, a year or two ago, I dug it out, cut off what was left of the pocket clip, tried to grind off the serrations, got tires of fooling with it and threw it back in the box,now the only knives I own that are serrated are freebies or gifts.

when I go to buy a knife, I pass on serrated (even partially serrated!)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think serrations are useful for people who choose to polish the bevel and apex of the non-serrated portion of the blade. If not, I don't see a point, unless you're not comfortable with sharpening. My non-serrated edges will cut webbing, rope, and other fibrous materials as well if not better than any serrations I have used because of the way I sharpen. They will also do things you can't do well with serrations like shear/push cut something that needs to be cut that way.

Serrations are a one trick pony, so if most of your cutting tasks don't align with what they do well, it's not a great choice. If you have serrations as a crutch for not being sharp, you're going to spend a lot of time sawing stuff. If you have something specifically intended for emergency use cutting cordage or webbing, then serrations do make sense as long as they are designed well and sharpened well from the factory. In those cases, a blade with the serrated cutting edge on the inside of a curve (like a hawkbill) will make even more different.

jndturner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2013
    Noblesville, IN
    I used to carry a serrated blade when I was out feeding cattle. It worked well cutting bale strings, net wrap, and okay for the silage film on bales. Since I am not actively involved with feeding anymore I have reverted back to a plain blade. I never worried about keeping the serrated knives sharp as I lost them about once every two months.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I carry a CRKT M16-10ks. all but the last 20% of the blade is straight. LOVE it. there is just enough serration for cordage without getting in the way when I need a straight blade.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I LOVE SERRATIONS on a bread knife but Plain edge for me.:twocents:

This. Bread is the only material I’ve run across the serrated edges seem to work better on. For everything else a well sharpened plain edge does as well or better. And loads easier to sharpen.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Generally, I prefer fine edge. The two knives I’ve had with serrations were both purchased for work and I felt serrations would work better on seatbelts or similar material. The only knife with serrations I have left is a CRKT with the Veff serrations. Those are very sharp!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If I really saw a benefit to serrated for my use, I'd carry a separate full serrated blade. Partial serrated is worst of both worlds.

Top Bottom