Benchmade just stepped in it with both feet.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    People are furious at Benchmade for helping PD destroy firearms.

52387415_2341612075850578_4174709706360619008_n.jpg

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    From Oregon City Police Facebook page:

Good evening,

We understand some of our followers are upset with Benchmade knives because of a recent post we put out. The post did not give everyone the full story on why the guns were required to be destroyed.

We receive guns that are turned in from community members that they no longer want the guns and want them destroyed. We also have guns that are evidence and when a case is adjudicated the guns are ordered by the court to be destroyed.

These guns were required to be destroyed. We reached out to Benchmade to do us a favor at our request. Benchmade is a strong supporter of law enforcement and the Oregon City community. We were present when the guns were cut and we took them for final destruction.

We apologize for not informing everyone on the initial post. Benchmade is an excellent company and we urge everyone that had said they no longer support Benchmade to reconsider once they have all the information. Again, we apologize for not informing everyone with our recent post.

Respectfully,

Chief Jim Band and Mayor Dan Holladay

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    From Oregon City Police Facebook page:

Good evening,

We understand some of our followers are upset with Benchmade knives because of a recent post we put out. The post did not give everyone the full story on why the guns were required to be destroyed.

We receive guns that are turned in from community members that they no longer want the guns and want them destroyed. We also have guns that are evidence and when a case is adjudicated the guns are ordered by the court to be destroyed.

These guns were required to be destroyed. We reached out to Benchmade to do us a favor at our request. Benchmade is a strong supporter of law enforcement and the Oregon City community. We were present when the guns were cut and we took them for final destruction.

We apologize for not informing everyone on the initial post. Benchmade is an excellent company and we urge everyone that had said they no longer support Benchmade to reconsider once they have all the information. Again, we apologize for not informing everyone with our recent post.

Respectfully,

Chief Jim Band and Mayor Dan Holladay

Thanks "J" man.....

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Dang, it's was getting hard keeping up with the do not support list, and I love my benchmades.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    ****em. No way in hell would i cut up a gun. I support the police too but i do not support police destroying ANY guns. I do not support the police confiscating guns from legal citizens including buy backs. I do not support the police keeping guns they seize. I support the police auctioning guns off to the public.
    Benchmade got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Dang got beat to posting the Open Secrets stuff, Instagram is blowing up about this right now. This will not end particularly well for benchmade.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Dang got beat to posting the Open Secrets stuff, Instagram is blowing up about this right now. This will not end particularly well for benchmade.
    Wow i missed all that till you just said that and i looked above. I will never buy another benchmade product. Not that i was a huge spender for their stuff anyways but im still dollars that add with other peoples dollars. And now theyre gone forever. Nope this wont end well for them. Sure youll always have the loyal fan boys that will keep buying even if a company started eating children, but the real $$ that keeps companies going is from the random consumer not the die hard ones.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    While I will admit that the optics of this looks terrible, and I question Benchmade's lack of judgment in not recognizing the negative outcome, I find it a bit alarming that the same people that claim to bleed PD blue and love to shout “fake news!” are taking advantage of this because it fits their narrative (political motivations).... it's no different than the "Fake News" jumping to conclusions before the facts have been determined.......It’s honestly embarrassing.

Police departments all over this country destroy firearms all of the time for various reasons if they can’t be resold. Why would a company not want to be a good corporate citizen, and help their local PD with something that they have.... the tools and expertise.

Benchmade's mistake was not knowing that a portion of their customer base is incapable of gathering the facts or reserving judgment until more info (facts) came out. Also, Benchmade did not realize/recognize that regardless of one's personal political views or beliefs, that if an issue is close (important) to that person like 2A, the reaction and negativity will be the same.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Maybe Benchmade ought to do a little customer research to determine how much of their base is pro-2A. I'm of a mind they might fully realize why the backlash they're receiving if they did.

I don't feel sorry for them. I don't apologize for them. I don't believe I'd participate with the government, no matter how much I respected the work they do, in their efforts to destroy perfectly good guns. The excuse "they were going to be destroyed anyway" is weak.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Why would a company not want to be a good corporate citizen, and help their local PD with something that they have.... the tools and expertise.

Companies are not required to provide the police with anything unless a warrant is involved. The proper response to any police request to a private business is "here's our lawyer's number".

Collaborating with infringement of civil liberties by giving gun-grabbing governments free social media propaganda featuring your brand and facilities is not "good corporate citizenship".

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    While I will admit that the optics of this looks terrible, and I question Benchmade's lack of judgment in not recognizing the negative outcome, I find it a bit alarming that the same people that claim to bleed PD blue and love to shout “fake news!” are taking advantage of this because it fits their narrative (political motivations).... it's no different than the "Fake News" jumping to conclusions before the facts have been determined.......It’s honestly embarrassing.

Police departments all over this country destroy firearms all of the time for various reasons if they can’t be resold. Why would a company not want to be a good corporate citizen, and help their local PD with something that they have.... the tools and expertise.

Benchmade's mistake was not knowing that a portion of their customer base is incapable of gathering the facts or reserving judgment until more info (facts) came out. Also, Benchmade did not realize/recognize that regardless of one's personal political views or beliefs, that if an issue is close (important) to that person like 2A, the reaction and negativity will be the same.

The fact the owners donated money heavily towards the Dem's?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Benchmade could have come out on top of this if the story read...Benchmade turning guns that were going to be destroyed anyway into custom knives.

This makes no more sense than cutting up ratchet wrenches that were used in a chop shop. That 3/4" is no good...must be destroyed...

And the donating to dems? Flock them.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    ****em. No way in hell would i cut up a gun. I support the police too but i do not support police destroying ANY guns. I do not support the police confiscating guns from legal citizens including buy backs. I do not support the police keeping guns they seize. I support the police auctioning guns off to the public.
    Benchmade got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.
    :+1:
    It's all about the money. I'm sure they got paid to do it.

Top Bottom