• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Currently, I work EMS in the city. We all know **** happens and I'm looking to be a little more prepared than I normally am. With that said, recommend me a boot knife. I've looked at ESEEs, but have no clue what I actually want. I don't ever carry anything other than a cheap folder in my back pocket. Any recommendations? Bonus points for experience.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Currently, I work EMS in the city. We all know **** happens and I'm looking to be a little more prepared than I normally am. With that said, recommend me a boot knife. I've looked at ESEEs, but have no clue what I actually want. I don't ever carry anything other than a cheap folder in my back pocket. Any recommendations? Bonus points for experience.

First, how do you define "boot knife" and what are the intended uses?

Do you literally mean a knife to carry in your boot, or a small double edged knife intended to be used as a hideout stabbing weapon?

Something else?

Once you define your needs and wants, then selection is a little simpler!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Something to be used as a last resort defensive tool.

Ah! That narrows it a bit.

Before we go down the rabbit hole, keep in mind that a better way to choose a defensive knife is to learn how to use a knife for defense, then pick from knives that are best suited to the techniques and principles you plan to employ. For instance, a karambit would be used very differently than something intended primarily for thrusting like a dagger.

In general, I think you'd best served by a medium or small sized fixed blade like a Bradford Guardian 3 to 4.5, or maybe an ESEE Izula or ESEE 3, worn near the centerline of the front of your body. Learn some basics on how to use as well as where to use (anatomy).

dan45

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 25, 2019
    brownsburg
    go with the ESEE Izula for about $60.00 and spend another $10.00 and get the sheath kit. it has attachments that will let you carry around your neck, on your belt, or in your boot.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    The standard fron WWII would be the S-F for the Limeys and Ek for they Yanks. My generation it was a Gerber Mk1 double edged. There are so many choices now it is mind boggling. Yes. I also recommend classes first then opting a blade.
    My first training was bayonets for the Army. I got more training as I went along my military career but then I selected Renott in Ohio. Another good choice is Mercop when he comes into this area. If you can find a true Eskrima / Arnis / Kali camp that would be great too. Check their backgrounds. Do your diligent research then go empty into class with no preconceived notions. Absorb that which is useful and discard that which is not. Continue to evolve.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The standard fron WWII would be the S-F for the Limeys and Ek for they Yanks. My generation it was a Gerber Mk1 double edged. There are so many choices now it is mind boggling. Yes. I also recommend classes first then opting a blade.
    My first training was bayonets for the Army. I got more training as I went along my military career but then I selected Renott in Ohio. Another good choice is Mercop when he comes into this area. If you can find a true Eskrima / Arnis / Kali camp that would be great too. Check their backgrounds. Do your diligent research then go empty into class with no preconceived notions. Absorb that which is useful and discard that which is not. Continue to evolve.

Agreed! I don't think Mercop does much training anymore, but he definitely has a lot of applicable experience and has some really good methods. For someone who can't or won't spend a lot of time learning about and practicing knife use, his inverted edge technique is very useful.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This thread seems like it's as good as any to drop this video.

I can't think of many things I would rather face less than someone trained and effective with with a push dagger. Simply brutal and terrifying.

[video=youtube_share;ONH7iHCBVFI]http://youtu.be/ONH7iHCBVFI[/video]

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If by boot knife you mean a fixed blade that is design for defensive use you could look at a few offerings from Kabar.

It depends where you want to carry in, in EMS with your uniform you might not be able to carry something on your belt.

They make some ankle carry options, or around the neck.

ka-bar-tdi-tactical-ankle-boot-knife_1_5f55860e347bf32ed5da0489a2ac53c1.jpg

Even the smalest one TDI LDK, will get someone off you.Very easy to conceal.

2012-06-27+08.14.43.jpg

The regular TDI can be used as a push dagger.Easy to carry on the belt under a shirt.

1_1480_600.jpg

You could also upgrate your pocket knife to something you can easily deploy like an Emerson folder.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    HV4werI.gif

I'm also thinking about getting a couple of the K-Bar TDIs for my boot knives. My last boots were those 5-11s and they had little pockets in the top. At the time I had a knife but I didn't trust the clip to be strong enough to keep the sheath in the boot while pulling the knife. I got a standard sheath with holes on the sides so I actually popped a couple holes (in the boot) and used real small nuts and bolts with washers to hold it in place inside the pocket. All blacked out so you can't see any Micky Mousing. I mounted it so the entire sheath is inside the pocket so you can't even see it.

Just got some new boots that will need knives also. Same 5-11s with them little pockets.
    Need some "clip sheaths" I can trust this time.

The TDIs looked promising.... if I'm reading the descriptions right and understanding the pictures. With the sheath clip anyway.

Top Bottom