Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Recommend me a boot knife

Currently, I work EMS in the city. We all know **** happens and I'm looking to be a little more prepared than I normally am. With that said, recommend me a boot knife. I've looked at ESEEs, but have no clue what I actually want. I don't ever carry anything other than a cheap folder in my back pocket. Any recommendations? Bonus points for experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by LockStocksAndBarrel View Post
    Good point, stephen87! As usual it was well thought out, concise, and well, brilliant.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stephen87 View Post
    Currently, I work EMS in the city. We all know **** happens and I'm looking to be a little more prepared than I normally am. With that said, recommend me a boot knife. I've looked at ESEEs, but have no clue what I actually want. I don't ever carry anything other than a cheap folder in my back pocket. Any recommendations? Bonus points for experience.
    First, how do you define "boot knife" and what are the intended uses?

Do you literally mean a knife to carry in your boot, or a small double edged knife intended to be used as a hideout stabbing weapon?

Something else?

Once you define your needs and wants, then selection is a little simpler!

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Something to be used as a last resort defensive tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by LockStocksAndBarrel View Post
    Good point, stephen87! As usual it was well thought out, concise, and well, brilliant.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stephen87 View Post
    Something to be used as a last resort defensive tool.
    Ah! That narrows it a bit.

Before we go down the rabbit hole, keep in mind that a better way to choose a defensive knife is to learn how to use a knife for defense, then pick from knives that are best suited to the techniques and principles you plan to employ. For instance, a karambit would be used very differently than something intended primarily for thrusting like a dagger.

In general, I think you'd best served by a medium or small sized fixed blade like a Bradford Guardian 3 to 4.5, or maybe an ESEE Izula or ESEE 3, worn near the centerline of the front of your body. Learn some basics on how to use as well as where to use (anatomy).

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Plinker

User Info Menu

go with the ESEE Izula for about $60.00 and spend another $10.00 and get the sheath kit. it has attachments that will let you carry around your neck, on your belt, or in your boot.

User Info Menu

The standard fron WWII would be the S-F for the Limeys and Ek for they Yanks. My generation it was a Gerber Mk1 double edged. There are so many choices now it is mind boggling. Yes. I also recommend classes first then opting a blade.
    My first training was bayonets for the Army. I got more training as I went along my military career but then I selected Renott in Ohio. Another good choice is Mercop when he comes into this area. If you can find a true Eskrima / Arnis / Kali camp that would be great too. Check their backgrounds. Do your diligent research then go empty into class with no preconceived notions. Absorb that which is useful and discard that which is not. Continue to evolve.
    Naphtali Lodge 389 Kokomo, IN

Hard luck is my only luck...
    Not your average Korean Hillbilly
    Tactical Chia Pet
    2012 FXDF (Fatbob)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KokomoDave View Post
    The standard fron WWII would be the S-F for the Limeys and Ek for they Yanks. My generation it was a Gerber Mk1 double edged. There are so many choices now it is mind boggling. Yes. I also recommend classes first then opting a blade.
    My first training was bayonets for the Army. I got more training as I went along my military career but then I selected Renott in Ohio. Another good choice is Mercop when he comes into this area. If you can find a true Eskrima / Arnis / Kali camp that would be great too. Check their backgrounds. Do your diligent research then go empty into class with no preconceived notions. Absorb that which is useful and discard that which is not. Continue to evolve.
    Agreed! I don't think Mercop does much training anymore, but he definitely has a lot of applicable experience and has some really good methods. For someone who can't or won't spend a lot of time learning about and practicing knife use, his inverted edge technique is very useful.

INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

This thread seems like it's as good as any to drop this video.

I can't think of many things I would rather face less than someone trained and effective with with a push dagger. Simply brutal and terrifying.

Well the sheriff couldn't catch me now, but his little girl? Sure wish she would.

User Info Menu

If by boot knife you mean a fixed blade that is design for defensive use you could look at a few offerings from Kabar.

It depends where you want to carry in, in EMS with your uniform you might not be able to carry something on your belt.

They make some ankle carry options, or around the neck.

Even the smalest one TDI LDK, will get someone off you.Very easy to conceal.

The regular TDI can be used as a push dagger.Easy to carry on the belt under a shirt.

You could also upgrate your pocket knife to something you can easily deploy like an Emerson folder.

User Info Menu

I'm also thinking about getting a couple of the K-Bar TDIs for my boot knives. My last boots were those 5-11s and they had little pockets in the top. At the time I had a knife but I didn't trust the clip to be strong enough to keep the sheath in the boot while pulling the knife. I got a standard sheath with holes on the sides so I actually popped a couple holes (in the boot) and used real small nuts and bolts with washers to hold it in place inside the pocket. All blacked out so you can't see any Micky Mousing. I mounted it so the entire sheath is inside the pocket so you can't even see it.

Just got some new boots that will need knives also. Same 5-11s with them little pockets.
    Need some "clip sheaths" I can trust this time.

The TDIs looked promising.... if I'm reading the descriptions right and understanding the pictures. With the sheath clip anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah View Post
    "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!" - Jerusalem 445 BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    "If you don't have a gun, sell your coat and buy one." - Jerusalem April 14th, 30 AD - Thursday, 11:38pm IST
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    INGO SUCKS.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast