• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I know a lot of people EDC a fixed blade. What I don't know is why. I'm kinda interested in them since I'm getting ready to start messing with kydex and anything that needs a sheath is an excuse to tinker. So why do you carry a fixed blade daily? How do you carry it? Once I figure out whether or not I have a use, I'll find the knife to fill that niche.

For reference, I'm a custodian by trade and my knife rarely comes out of my pocket except for opening/breaking down boxes.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I know a lot of people EDC a fixed blade. What I don't know is why.

I am *not* a knife fighter and am know nothing other then the little bit I've been able to pick up from Craig Douglas, so my opinion doesn't carry a ton of weight. That said, for me the reason is that a fixed blade is instantly ready to put into action and is much tougher to break. If worn center line it's accessible with either hand. I carry a small blade center line, generally on a dog tag chain, as a last ditch "get off me" poking device. I know there are people out there who are much better than I am at entangled fighting. I know there are people who are much stronger. I know there are people who are both. I know I could be in a fight over my gun. For those reasons, having a hidden option that's relatively east to get to with either hand and doesn't need any manipulation before being able to be put into use seems like a good idea.

I plan to get over to TDI for some more in depth training eventually.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I am *not* a knife fighter and am know nothing other then the little bit I've been able to pick up from Craig Douglas, so my opinion doesn't carry a ton of weight. That said, for me the reason is that a fixed blade is instantly ready to put into action and is much tougher to break. If worn center line it's accessible with either hand. I carry a small blade center line, generally on a dog tag chain, as a last ditch "get off me" poking device. I know there are people out there who are much better than I am at entangled fighting. I know there are people who are much stronger. I know there are people who are both. I know I could be in a fight over my gun. For those reasons, having a hidden option that's relatively east to get to with either hand and doesn't need any manipulation before being able to be put into use seems like a good idea.

I plan to get over to TDI for some more in depth training eventually.
    This brings up another question, I would think a neck knife would get annoying. Does it? I just can't imagine carrying one due to the fact that my work shirts are practically see-through and my normal t-shirts aren't loose enough to hide something like that because I'm so round (before anyone says anything, I'm working on getting in better shape).

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Until my work uniform changes, I just can't see myself carrying a neck knife. I could hang it under my undershirt but that's tucked in so there goes quick/easy access. Maybe when the diet and exercise start showing results things will change.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The CRKT minimalist is my option for fixed blade.
    Not really a true EDC item since I rarelly wear it.
    It depends what I do and where I go.

Usually worn on a dog tag chain like BB ... but you can also mount it on your belt (it comes with the clip).

STANDARD-2612359c8f82e9993a-600x500.jpg

Fixed blades are usually backup blades.
    It's not something you pull out to open boxes.
    You should have a folder for that (possibly several).
    It's something you never use to keep it razor sharp.

I have never used mine outside of training/practice/testing.

Attachments

• STANDARD-2612359c8f82e9993a-600x500.jpg
      STANDARD-2612359c8f82e9993a-600x500.jpg
      24.2 KB · Views: 4
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    I carry a Bob Dozier Canoe (3") fixed blade with the horizontal kydex sheath next to my belt buckle. He has them right and left hand draw. No one ever comments on it because no one stares there.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I carry a fixed blade, because every folding knife ever made is broken in the middle. I have several different knives I can carry based on my mood for the day, but I carry them all the same way. IWB in a kydex sheath.

Most often I carry my Benchmade 375 Adamas fixed blade.
    Sometimes I carry my Busse SJTAC in Competition Finish.

You'd be surprised how big a knife you can cover up this way.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Until my work uniform changes, I just can't see myself carrying a neck knife. I could hang it under my undershirt but that's tucked in so there goes quick/easy access. Maybe when the diet and exercise start showing results things will change.

Belt carry is probably smarter. I just wanted something that doesn't interfere with, or require, a duty belt. I use the same one that Sylvain listed, but mine has a green handle.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I carry a Clinch Pick or Izula centerline, some days, a Spyderco Reverse, others a Street Bowie. I’ve got several River City Sheaths Keating Drawpoints for Gryphon M10, and M30’s. Sometimes Mick Strider Custom SLCC, sheesh, I like fixed blades, so I always have one about my person or two, or...

Lately, I’ve been sporting a Spartan Blades Enyo neck knife as well.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    So basically the fixed blade is a defensive tool and you guys have folders for general use?

Yes, for EDC and urban use anyway.

Now if you go camping or hiking a fixed blade is great and it's probably what you will use for general use.

Of course you also have folders for defensive use.
    Some can be accessed as fast as a fixed blade.
    You also have different types of folders for different utility tasks, food prep etc.
    That's why you carry more than one folder and the fixed blade is a last ditch backup.

Waiting on Rhino to tell you how many fixed blades and folders he carries and for what purpose. :):

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So basically the fixed blade is a defensive tool and you guys have folders for general use?

For me, yes. I carry folder with a glass punch in my pocket.

For those who carry a clinch pick, Cecil Burch is coming out with a new sheath for concealed carry.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The idea of folding a knife in half is to make it more compact, correct?

If you can find simple ways to pack around a knife that doesn't break in half, why would you carry one's that do?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The idea of folding a knife in half is to make it more compact, correct?

If you can find simple ways to pack around a knife that doesn't break in half, why would you carry one's that do?

You can carry much larger knives if they are folders.
    Fixed blades that are the size of most open folders would be hard to carry/conceal.

You ain't carrying a fixed blade that size around your neck ... :):

DSCF0656.jpg

A lot of folks like to fidget with their folder as well, if it's a fixed blade you can't open and close it hundreds of time while sitting at your desk. :dunno:

If you just like to collect knives then folders are probably more interesting.
    Designers come up with new lock design ideas, new way to fold them.

Most modern folders have pretty strong locks, you won't break the knife/lock unless you are batoning some wood.

Top Bottom