• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Fair warning: I don't know much at all about knives. This story will reinforce that. Kershaw didn't care I'm an idiot and took care of me anyway.

I have one of those "Emerson by Kershaw" knives with a pocket clip and the wave deal where it flips open as you pull it from your pocket. I took it apart in an unsuccessful attempt to set it up for left front pocket carry instead of right front pocket carry. Somehow, I lost the little stud that keeps the blade from opening too far. A piece I didn't even realize existed until I put the knife back together, noted the blade now opened too far, and noted the hole where something should be but obviously wasn't. It turns out that little stud is pretty important. And difficult to find. I was over a tile floor, I've no idea HTF I lost it, but I lost it.

I emailed Kershaw and told them I'd lost the piece, didn't even know if it was a screw or stud, and could I please purchase a replacement. I got a return email that my message was being routed to the proper people. Today I got a real mail with a new stud in it. I managed to reinstall it without losing it. (pause for applause) I keep these sorts of things in mind when I make future purchases. I don't really know where Kershaw falls on the quality scale. I've no idea if I'm carrying the Hi-point of knives or the Glock. The two I routinely carry have always done what I've asked of them and the company seems willing to stand behind them when their dumb owners do dumb things, though. If you are similarly inept in this area, something to keep in mind.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Glad to know they value their tinkerers.... er customers.
    I carry a Gerber and now I know not to take it apart.
    Thanks for the input on Gerber/Emerson customer service.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a Kershaw that the "hold open" tang quit working and the knife would not lock in the open position. I mailed it to them and I'm pretty sure they just sent me a new knife.

I can't complain about the customer service either.

However, the knife was not that old and was not used much at all. I'm a little dismayed that it failed. If this one fails again, I'll step up to a higher quality knife.

I don't like buying things twice.:)

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ive got a couple Kershaw knives that I've had no issues with. I bought them both off my SnapOn tool guys truck for use opening boxes, rebuild kits, stripping wires occasionally, etc. Whats real nice about the SnapOn branded Kershaws is i just give it to my tool guy and he replaces it. I dont even sharpen them, i just swap them out when they get dull.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I’ve always been a fan of Kershaw. You can buy the low end cheap ones, all the way up to their Zero Tolerance brand. They’ve always been good knives.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Ive got a couple Kershaw knives that I've had no issues with. I bought them both off my SnapOn tool guys truck for use opening boxes, rebuild kits, stripping wires occasionally, etc. Whats real nice about the SnapOn branded Kershaws is i just give it to my tool guy and he replaces it. I dont even sharpen them, i just swap them out when they get dull.
    That's where I first picked one up. Excellent EDC work knife.

Top Bottom