• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Top to bottom: Wingman, Rev, Gerber, Wave, Juice, SOG.
    46516305605_8a40d53e03_k.jpg

I'm not really a knife-guy. It's just another tool. That said, here's some of my thoughts on some new and old multi-tools. If you want a thorough review, those are available all over the internet. I'm just some dude screwing around.

When it comes to multi-tools, I'm looking for three main things. Mostly pliers and a knife. Thirdly, useful screwdrivers. I definitely want an external knife. I have no use for the saws, and a few are exceptionally pointless. I will occasionally use a file, but very rarely. I prefer spring-loaded pliers.

By order they fell in the photo:

Number One: The Leatherman Wingman. This is my EDC. Key selling point, an external opening knife. Bonus features: I use the pliers frequently, the scissors are fantastic, I use them to cut velcro strips, they're really surprising. A couple weeks ago, I used them to cut a paint can! The flat-phillips driver works perfectly well. I carry these and I haven't found anything that's going to replace them. That said, the knife blade is junk.

#2. Definitely not my second favorite. Leatherman Rev. Like the Wingman, but worse in every way. The knife is hard to open, there's no scissors, the pliers don't open far enough and the grips are way too wide when squeezing. This makes these exceptionally hard to get any leverage on. If it was cheap enough, it'd be a good tool, but the Wingman outshines it.

#3. Gerber Evo(near-twin to Suspension). I hate this tool. There's not even much wrong with it:It's way too big and it's way too heavy. That said, the knife is very sharp, easy to open, and the locking action seems positive. And the tools open from the outside, as they should. The scissors are so small, they're pointless. The phillips driver is offset, but it doesn't really like up with anything to make a handy screwdriver. The action in-general is positive and snappy. If it wasn't so big and heavy, I might like it. Oh, and the saw is less than 2-inches long;it just makes me angry.

#4. Leatherman Wave. I don't have a strong opinion on this, but I can see why it's so popular. The knives open from the outside and you get four external options. Two of which are Very easy to open. This tool is big and heavy, but it packs a lot of punch. Everything has good locking action. The pliers open wide,~50% wider than the comparable Gerber. The bit driver is useful and unique. Plus, there's a tiny bit driver for glasses-size screws.Downsides? The scissors are tiny and useless. Do I really need two knives? I hate the saw blade, but it's big and could maybe cut a stick.

#5. Leatherman Juice S2. This is new to me and I kinda like it! It's comparatively compact. The action is snappy. The pliers are huge, considering the size of the tool. The knife blade is traditional and can't really be opened one handed(big downside for me). Equally annoying downside: The scissors are Under the can opener. Who needs a can-opener more than scissors? Makes the tool clumsy. The internal tools are also very sharp and hard to open;they drew blood before I figured that out.

#6. The SOG Switchplier. Yeah, it's stupid, it's a gimmick and I dove right in knowing that. I think I hate that I like it. Except that it's also terrible. If you see are view online calling this a bad tool, it really is! It's also fun!Sadly, the pliers open to Less than 1-Inch! Less than an inch! The tiny Juice nearly doubles that. Other than that, the entire tool is awkward. Some tools need the pliers deployed to access, but some don't. Tools are buried behind other tools. The pocket clip is tool weak. And the very first day I carried it, the pliers deployed in my pocket. Most frustratingly for a gimmick-tool, the pliers rarely deploy all the way open and lock. Hopefully they break in and work properly. Having said all that, I'll carry it again tomorrow...

I think the only one left that I want to try is the Leatherman Leap. Too bad it has that stupid saw...
    The rest of them are So Expensive! Oh well.

This picture shows all the pliers pushed shut. I just wanted to show how big and small the grips are in the hand. Note the big Wave closes tight for tons of gripping power. The Rev is a big wide grip that holds the hand wide open for minimum gripping power. The SOG closes tight, but the grip flexes a little. Rubber-bands are for the spring-loaded tools.
    46708404844_8d274f53f7_k.jpg

Lastly, pliers open. This shows the SOG all the way open. Even the little Juice easily beats it.
    40465701363_a3195c576f_k.jpg

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts! The Wingman is so close to being the perfect tool, except for the knife. If they put their usual plain edge knife in it instead of the half-serrated thing, it would be the perfect multitool. I love that all of the tools are actually useful on a regular basis, instead of an awl or 4 different sizes of flat head screwdrivers.

PinoyJedi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Indianapolis NWside
    I EDC a Skeletool and love it. Wish it had a pair of scissors though (I’ll have to check out the wingman). The bit kits set is something i want to get for it so I have more than a phillips and flat head.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts! The Wingman is so close to being the perfect tool, except for the knife. If they put their usual plain edge knife in it instead of the half-serrated thing, it would be the perfect multitool. I love that all of the tools are actually useful on a regular basis, instead of an awl or 4 different sizes of flat head screwdrivers.

One of the reasons I like the Sidekick better than the Wingman is the non-serrated vs serrated knife blade. Also, I much prefer the saw over the scissors. I've never owned a Leatherman with scissors that were not disappointing. If I need scissors, I'll use my SAK (which have awesome scissors that actually work) or a real scissors if I need something bigger.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I like this discussion!

I've never found a use for the tiny saw on a multi-tool. I've tried to use it, but found it was quicker to just chop with the knife.

I wish the Rev was just a Wingman/sidekick without the extra tool, but as I tried to show in pictures, it's worse at being pliers.

How's a Skeletool for carry? It looks big?

The Wave/Gerber are too big for me to pocket carry. The SOG looks similar in size, but it's tapering shape makes it easy to carry. But man, the pliers are stupid-small. Nearly useless. And the fingernail nick in the blade will remove a little of your nail each use, very sharp, as-machined edge.

Also wanted to add, the Gerber tools are all too small. I mentioned the scissors and saw, but even the knife is tiny.

Yes, I agree that this review is incomplete without the full-size Gerbers and the big Leathermans, but I only have so many dollars...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I have a small multitool that has about a 2” saw on it. What in the world will I do with that? I also dislike any tool that has multiple sizes of flat head screwdrivers. Somebody is just phoning it in so they can advertise having 21 tools instead of 18.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I EDC a pocket knife but carry the Wave in my mini travel BOB that I grab for trips. Works for me when I infrequently need tools. Able to change a headlight in a parking lot. Went to inlaws for Thanksgiving once and they have NO tools in their entire home. With the Wave and a couple tools from my truck I was able to change out their garbage disposal with limited number of cuss words.

I wish Leatherman had a setup you could customize the contents. Buy the housing and click on the tools you would use and eliminate the useless tools. Basically customize your multitool choosing the 9 tools you need out of a selection of 25 choices.

Rep. to the OP for including a $2 bill in your photo.

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Wave for me. Used to have a Gerber but lost it. Need the Wave for the tiny screwdriver - glasses repair for myself and others. The saw has been used to cut up branches and cut down small trees. Works well and quickly. The file is used often, especially the diamond side - sharpens the knives of friends and family in field situations. Too bad I can't use it to sharpen the Wave's own blades.
    Drawback - I've got blood blisters from pinching my hand between the blade backs while using the pliers. Not fun.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a small multitool that has about a 2” saw on it. What in the world will I do with that? I also dislike any tool that has multiple sizes of flat head screwdrivers. Somebody is just phoning it in so they can advertise having 21 tools instead of 18.

One thing is cut a hole in the side of a plastic 55gal drum. A short saw is better than no saw when you need a saw.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Have a wave and a SOG. The SOG is strange the plier head folds over and stores between the two handles, not very useful.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    I have the wingman and style ps. Carry the style ps on a daily basis and the wingman while working around the house. Been happy so far with both. Find the tools on both to all be useful (agree the knife on the wingman isnt the best).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You have the wrong Gerber.....:):

I have used the saw in mine on multiple occasions. It all depends on what you do and what you expect from your multy-tool. They all have something positive and also negative depending on your expectations of the tool.

I bought a SOG from Rhino....that thing truly sucks.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I've had my leatherman micra for 20yrs, I use the scissors and micro flathead more than anything but all have gotten multiple uses. I've had other, chinese knockoff brands as gifts and the one thing on my wishlist for one of these small pocket multi-tools would be an actually good, truly sturdy and bright light.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You have the wrong Gerber.....:):

I have used the saw in mine on multiple occasions. It all depends on what you do and what you expect from your multy-tool. They all have something positive and also negative depending on your expectations of the tool.

I bought a SOG from Rhino....that thing truly sucks.

Do you want your money back?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Do you want your money back?

Oh lord no sir. Not any direct knock towards you. I gave it to the SIL. He uses it as a hammer. It fits that roll. :stickpoke:
    The SOG is just a pain in the butt to use. It weighs a ton compared to my Gerber. It is stiff beyond reason even after a good lube.
    The knife is decent on it once you get it deployed.

We are stellar as always.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    I edc a Swisstool Spirit X. For me, it beats all the others. It's worth checking out if you've never seen or used one.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have a Rev and it’s “meh” at best. It’s been retired to the range bag for emergencies.

I EDC a Surge, which is essentially an overgrown Wave. It’s a beast, but rides comfortably on my belt and doesn’t throw up any flags in my “no weapons” corporate environment.

Top Bottom