Join INGunOwners For Free

Poll: Can you live with an SAK as your only knife?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Living Life with Just an SAK

I've been using a Victorinox Fieldmaster for the last few weeks for almost all of my knife-related tasks. It causes me pain to realize that I make it through life with only an SAK. I reject such a bleak existence!

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Pretty cool, but there ain't no pliers on a SAK...
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and I’m on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Outside of intentional hard use just for the fun of it, there’s not much practical reason for big beastly knives. Some backpackers say they could go on a multi-day hike with just a disposable utility razor. Even some survival “experts” stick with a basic Mora. I think a SAK would be just fine for me, but I like variety!
    'Til that time I will remain, 'til the sinners lay down with the saints.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    Pretty cool, but there ain't no pliers on a SAK...
    Except for the Deluxe Tinker, SwissChamp, and a few others . . . with pliers! Okay, they're so small that they're more like giant tweezers, but they are pliers. Furthermore, I did not preclude having real pliers and wrenches. I was getting at not needing fancy folding or fixed blade knives.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jsharmon7 View Post
    Outside of intentional hard use just for the fun of it, there’s not much practical reason for big beastly knives. Some backpackers say they could go on a multi-day hike with just a disposable utility razor. Even some survival “experts” stick with a basic Mora. I think a SAK would be just fine for me, but I like variety!
    Yeah, I slapped myself when I thought of this topic a week ago or so and then slapped myself just now.

INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

I don't mess around with knives that don't lock open, so I haven't used a SAK since sometime in high school. I still have a nasty scar on my thumb to show for it.

No way.
    "The problem with internet quotations is that many are not genuine." -Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

I like my Pioneers and Farmers (almost the same knife except the Farmer has a saw). They're good blades that I would carry more if they had a pocket clip. I just don't like them loose in my back pocket.
    Medium speed. Moderate drag.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CampingJosh View Post
    I don't mess around with knives that don't lock open, so I haven't used a SAK since sometime in high school. I still have a nasty scar on my thumb to show for it.

No way.
    Medium speed. Moderate drag.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I like my Pioneers and Farmers (almost the same knife except the Farmer has a saw). They're good blades that I would carry more if they had a pocket clip. I just don't like them loose in my back pocket.
    How about using one of those clips that hangs from the top of you pocket attached to the key ring?

https://smile.amazon.com/SODIAL-Mult...%2C151&sr=8-10

INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Rhino.... It's obvious that an intervention is needed ! Get a grip, man !

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast