• ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Alright ingo,

Im sick of half*** sharp knives and water stones.

For those that have one or both...

Do you recommend the edgepro go or the wicked edge apex 3.... im on a budget but these seem expandable...i can add finer abrasives later.

Please and thank you
    Shred

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Wicked Edge is by far the better design. There are two clamp designs in the Wicked Edge line. The clamp on the 130 or Gen 3 Pro is the best, but even with the other clamp a Wicked Edge is the best sharpener. I had a Generation 3 Pro and it produced a great edge and is very easy to use and is repeatable. Make sure to get a Wixey digital angle finder, too.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Alright ingo,

Im sick of half*** sharp knives and water stones.

For those that have one or both...

Do you recommend the edgepro go or the wicked edge apex 3.... im on a budget but these seem expandable...i can add finer abrasives later.

Please and thank you
    Shred

Both are very effective and both require both good technique and an awareness of what you're actually trying to accomplish (and how) in order to be effective. Based on my extensive youtube sampling, more of the really effective sharpeners who use guided systems are using en Edge Pro-style system (often KME).

Keep in mind that I'm a free-hand sharpener, but I'd probably choose an Edge Pro or similar if I were going with a manually operated, high end guided system. I'd get a Tormek before either of them, though, because if I were laying down the cash, I'd be doing it as a business and powered systems are the way to go for that.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I suppose my biggest issue is the new steels that take a long time to sharpen...like s30v....

I can freehand ok, but after a while is struggle to maintain proper angles and end up with a fubar knife....so i figure a clamp style system would be best.

I would do my kitchen knives every once in a while but primarily my spyderco manix 2...on which i cannot keep an edge.

Shred

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I suppose my biggest issue is the new steels that take a long time to sharpen...like s30v....

I can freehand ok, but after a while is struggle to maintain proper angles and end up with a fubar knife....so i figure a clamp style system would be best.

I would do my kitchen knives every once in a while but primarily my spyderco manix 2...on which i cannot keep an edge.

Shred

Based on what you said, regardless of the system you choose, you need an abrasive that will remove metal quickly for reprofiling challenging steels. You need an extra coarse diamond or extra coarse (like 200-400 grit) water or oil stone. If you're spending more than a few minutes establishing the edge apex, you probably need a coarser abrasive. For "super steels," diamonds tend to work the best because of their exceptional hardness and ability to cut different carbides in the steel, rather than pull them out (as may happen with softer abrasives). That will make quick work of getting the initial apex, then you can use your existing tools to refine and finish the edge as you like it.

Last edited:

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I got the Edge Pro Apex 4 about a month ago. I started with a knife I have struggled getting sharp, and within 5 minutes I was cleanly shaving my arm hair with it. Check out a few YouTube videos and you will have no troubles with either of the systems you are looking at. While the Edge Pro is not a clamped system, it is pretty easy to hold the knife still and maintain a consistent edge, also nice for longer blades as you can move them along the guide and not have to unclamp them.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Wicked edge is the far superior option IMHO with the clamp and dual sharpening stones. The idea of having to manually hold the knife and flip it over like the Edge Pro requires would drive me insane very quickly as when I break out my Wicked Edge it is to sharpen multiple knives at once.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've owned both and found the Wicked Edge much easier to obtain a great edge with. That said I don't really consider sharpening knives to be a pleasurable experience so I wasn't willing to spend a lot of time perfecting my technique with the Edge Pro. I definitely got better edges with the Edge Pro than free handing but they got even better with the WE.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Ive been waffling about dropping the money...

Is the wicked edge a quality built item? Machined aluminum? Stable on a table top.

Leaning more toward the we100 now.
    Are the one on ebay legit? I saw one for $275.

Please and thank you
    Shred

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    No clue about the authenticity of ebay but everything about the wicked edge is quality, clamp is machined , ball arm joints are super smooth, again I might be biased but its the best system out there IMHO

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I only have experience with Wicked Edge, but can say that I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Easy to learn and use as well as being expandable.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I bought one of the Ebay knock off items, Not to use to use as patterns to make my own, The stones on the cheap ones are laughable. they are some kind of chinese pressed sand, But I think the overall concept is good.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I know it's not what you asked about but I can get my knives hair popping sharp with it using the course, fine and extra fine sharpening rods and it's not that costly. VERY easy to use and reasonably quick. I have knives made from A2, 420HC, Carbon V, 154CM, S30V, VG10 and a few others I can't recall at this moment and the Spyderco triangle sharpener can get them all sharp enough to shave the hair or individual hairs one at a time from my arm with only enough effort to move the knife.
    [URL]https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Triangle-Sharpmaker-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B07G8R4XSW

[/URL]
    I am nothing short of fanatical when it comes to having sharp knives and I have found the best way to sharpen a dull knife is never let it get that dull to begin with.
    Give the Spyderco a look, awesome sharpening system and IMHO one of the best values in sharpeners.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Ok, i called wicked edge and they confirmed that the we100 on amazon with the quartz stone base was authentic.

Initial impressions are good, but there is for sure a learning curve.
    Trying to not crash your stones into your knife is a hurddle as well as trying to not crash your stones into each other.

I wish the heim joint connections would allow the stones to come farther way perpendicularly from the blade.

The base and system are very stable although i have had the angle adjustment set screws work loose and slide out a few time while sharpening.

My knives are for sure sharper than they where but i have not gotten an edge that will slice thin paper yet. I believe the stones are still breaking in.

I do wish, for the cost, that it would have come with an 800/1000 stone.

Overall im happy, glad i got this.
    Thanks for all the insights and advice ingo.

Shred

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Ok, i called wicked edge and they confirmed that the we100 on amazon with the quartz stone base was authentic.

Initial impressions are good, but there is for sure a learning curve.
    Trying to not crash your stones into your knife is a hurddle as well as trying to not crash your stones into each other.

I wish the heim joint connections would allow the stones to come farther way perpendicularly from the blade.

The base and system are very stable although i have had the angle adjustment set screws work loose and slide out a few time while sharpening.

My knives are for sure sharper than they where but i have not gotten an edge that will slice thin paper yet. I believe the stones are still breaking in.

I do wish, for the cost, that it would have come with an 800/1000 stone.

Overall im happy, glad i got this.
    Thanks for all the insights and advice ingo.

Shred

Try putting a faucet washer over the guide rod under the stone to keep the top of the stone from hitting the side of the blade. It will make sure you won't scratch the side of the blade with the top of the stone by limiting the amount of down travel the stone will go. Happy sharpening!!!

Top Bottom