Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Edge pro vs wicked edge

Alright ingo,

Im sick of half*** sharp knives and water stones.

For those that have one or both...

Do you recommend the edgepro go or the wicked edge apex 3.... im on a budget but these seem expandable...i can add finer abrasives later.

Please and thank you
    Shred
    It's a trick..... get an axe.

x10

User Info Menu

I don't know what kind of budget your on but those are both good system,

Here's another system not many people talk about but is a very good system also

https://www.razoredgesystems.com/pro...-kit-w-8-hones
    Tomorrow’s winds will blow tomorrow

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!! WhitleyStu's Avatar

User Info Menu

Wicked Edge is by far the better design. There are two clamp designs in the Wicked Edge line. The clamp on the 130 or Gen 3 Pro is the best, but even with the other clamp a Wicked Edge is the best sharpener. I had a Generation 3 Pro and it produced a great edge and is very easy to use and is repeatable. Make sure to get a Wixey digital angle finder, too.
    NRA Life Member since 3/15/89
    I don’t carry a firearm for self-defense because I’m an optimist…
    Facts seldom stand in the way of what someone wants to believe.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Alright ingo,

Im sick of half*** sharp knives and water stones.

For those that have one or both...

Do you recommend the edgepro go or the wicked edge apex 3.... im on a budget but these seem expandable...i can add finer abrasives later.

Please and thank you
    Shred

Both are very effective and both require both good technique and an awareness of what you're actually trying to accomplish (and how) in order to be effective. Based on my extensive youtube sampling, more of the really effective sharpeners who use guided systems are using en Edge Pro-style system (often KME).

Keep in mind that I'm a free-hand sharpener, but I'd probably choose an Edge Pro or similar if I were going with a manually operated, high end guided system. I'd get a Tormek before either of them, though, because if I were laying down the cash, I'd be doing it as a business and powered systems are the way to go for that.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

I suppose my biggest issue is the new steels that take a long time to sharpen...like s30v....

I can freehand ok, but after a while is struggle to maintain proper angles and end up with a fubar knife....so i figure a clamp style system would be best.

I would do my kitchen knives every once in a while but primarily my spyderco manix 2...on which i cannot keep an edge.

Shred

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I suppose my biggest issue is the new steels that take a long time to sharpen...like s30v....

I can freehand ok, but after a while is struggle to maintain proper angles and end up with a fubar knife....so i figure a clamp style system would be best.

I would do my kitchen knives every once in a while but primarily my spyderco manix 2...on which i cannot keep an edge.

Shred

Based on what you said, regardless of the system you choose, you need an abrasive that will remove metal quickly for reprofiling challenging steels. You need an extra coarse diamond or extra coarse (like 200-400 grit) water or oil stone. If you're spending more than a few minutes establishing the edge apex, you probably need a coarser abrasive. For "super steels," diamonds tend to work the best because of their exceptional hardness and ability to cut different carbides in the steel, rather than pull them out (as may happen with softer abrasives). That will make quick work of getting the initial apex, then you can use your existing tools to refine and finish the edge as you like it.
    Last edited by rhino; 04-03-2019 at 01:42.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Plinker

User Info Menu

I got the Edge Pro Apex 4 about a month ago. I started with a knife I have struggled getting sharp, and within 5 minutes I was cleanly shaving my arm hair with it. Check out a few YouTube videos and you will have no troubles with either of the systems you are looking at. While the Edge Pro is not a clamped system, it is pretty easy to hold the knife still and maintain a consistent edge, also nice for longer blades as you can move them along the guide and not have to unclamp them.

User Info Menu

Wicked edge is the far superior option IMHO with the clamp and dual sharpening stones. The idea of having to manually hold the knife and flip it over like the Edge Pro requires would drive me insane very quickly as when I break out my Wicked Edge it is to sharpen multiple knives at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    Dude, from what I can tell from your photos, you don't do anything bargin bin.

User Info Menu

I've owned both and found the Wicked Edge much easier to obtain a great edge with. That said I don't really consider sharpening knives to be a pleasurable experience so I wasn't willing to spend a lot of time perfecting my technique with the Edge Pro. I definitely got better edges with the Edge Pro than free handing but they got even better with the WE.
    There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Ive been waffling about dropping the money...

Is the wicked edge a quality built item? Machined aluminum? Stable on a table top.

Leaning more toward the we100 now.
    Are the one on ebay legit? I saw one for $275.

Please and thank you
    Shred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast