Join INGunOwners For Free

User Info Menu

If You Need Another Reason to Keep Your Blade Sharp...

Someday, you might need to lop off your own leg...

Farmer amputates own leg to escape equipment: 'The only way I'm getting out of here is to cut it off'

I have a neighbor who lost his foot in a similar accident. He didn't have knife on him and had to pull hard enough to completely sever his partially severed foot and get free. He wished he'd had a knife.
    Necessity is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

User Info Menu

Yikes. Wonder what kind of knife.
    Nothing is everything, but everything is something. - Ayoob

User Info Menu

I had an uncle that would always say, let me see your pocket knife. Then he would check the edge while commenting about how you could tell how lazy a man was by how sharp he kept his knife.

User Info Menu

Reminds me of this guy:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1993/07...8314743400000/

I saw a few interviews with him and I cringed in sympathy pain each time he told the story. His pocketknife was a cheapie he used to dig mud and other debris from the tracks of his bulldozer and it was not sharp when he need it. He had to rub it on a nearby rocky to get it sharp enough to sever what was left of his leg. UGH!

I'd like to think that Don Wyman's story (from 1993) has inspired people in similar situations (like the Nebraska farmer) to not give up and just die because the situation seemed hopeless.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    I had an uncle that would always say, let me see your pocket knife. Then he would check the edge while commenting about how you could tell how lazy a man was by how sharp he kept his knife.
    Hmmm. I must be an outlier . . . I'm about as lazy as it gets, yet my cutlery is sharp!

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!