• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Does anyone have any experience with LT Wright knives?

Yes! They are fantastic tools and well worth the price. LT used to be half of Blindhorse Knives, but he and the owner of what is now Battlehorse Knives separated into two businesses a few years ago.

They are the flagship of "bushcraft" knife makers for good reason. They make some of the best cutting tools you can find at any price. Build quality is amazing, heat treatments seem to be spot-on based on my use and sharpening experience, and the handles were clearly designed by someone who knows about actually using knives for cutting tasks. If you like to use the spine of your knife as a scraper (for wood, bark, ferro rod, whatever), they have what are probably the sharpest 90 degree spines on the market.

An LT Wright Genesis (flat grind, CPM 3V blade, matte green Micarta handle) rides in my pack that I take with me everywhere as my go-to multi-purpose cutting tool that I know I can count on. At least two contestants on History Channel's "Alone" took an LT Wright Genesis with them (Larry Roberts and Carleigh Fairchild). It's a modern version of the classic Horace Kephart field knife design and works well for just about anything from carving wood to food prep.

I gave my 01 Frontier First to a friend's son for his high school graduation this spring.

I had a Patriot in CPM 3V, but I sold it because I need $$$.

You can see a lot of reviews and use of them on youtube.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Lt and his crew make great blades. The workmanship to cost ratio is amazing unbalanced. You are getting a ton of quality for your money. If your looking for a blade style he makes, look no further. I don't know alot of his crew but i do know LT, he's a great guy. As my southern relatives would say "He's good people"

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I am saving for a GNS scandi for my next big knife purchase. LT Wright produces some fantastic stuff. The only problem is I can't afford any of it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't have any of his stuff, but I had a Blind Horse that was really nice.

The Blind Horse days were mostly before my foray into higher end fixed blades. You can definitely see the similarities between that shop's work and what both LT and the Battlehorse guy does. I also have a Battlehorse Smokey Mountain Razor, which is also a Kephart style, but with a really nicely designed handle that departs from the conventional "broomstick." They tend to grind from thicker stock than LT. For example, most of the Battlehorse knives are 5/32" thick at the spine, but my LT Wright Genesis is 1/8". I'd prefer 3/32", but I'd have to go with Bark River for that (which I probably will at some point).

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've never heard anything but great things about LT wright knives and I've been looking hard at their new 5" genesis. I'm a big fan of kephart style knives and that's where they seem to own the buy once, cry once market.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've never heard anything but great things about LT wright knives and I've been looking hard at their new 5" genesis. I'm a big fan of kephart style knives and that's where they seem to own the buy once, cry once market.

Do eet!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

All the sites that have the gen 5 are still at the $240 range. I'm going to have to wait a bit. Lots of brown boxes showing up this week that I have to come up with excuses for already. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    All the sites that have the gen 5 are still at the $240 range. I'm going to have to wait a bit. Lots of brown boxes showing up this week that I have to come up with excuses for already. :)

It's too bad I didn't buy a 5-inch version before I got laid off. I'd be selling it to you right now!

Do you want the Scandi, saber, full convex, or flat grind? Steel preference?

I'm looking at them on the DLT Trading site now and the regular Genesis is showing blade thickness of 0.117" instead of 1/8"=0.125". I don't know if that's an error or if they changed them or if it's just how DLT had them commissioned. Either way: want.

They also weren't doing the full convex blade grind when I got mine!

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    From what I've seen they only come in scandi or saber grinds. Of those two I'd take the saber. I like a scandi when it comes to wood work, but hate when I have to sharpen it. Ideally I'd like to get it in a flat grind because that seems to bite into wood like a scandi but sharpen back up pretty easily. Personally, I'm really tired of super thick 3/16 knives because I was ant a knife and not a pry bar. I like thinner blades closer to the 1/8" side of things. I'm also a sucker for anything in green so the handle part is easy to decide.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    From what I've seen they only come in scandi or saber grinds. Of those two I'd take the saber. I like a scandi when it comes to wood work, but hate when I have to sharpen it. Ideally I'd like to get it in a flat grind because that seems to bite into wood like a scandi but sharpen back up pretty easily. Personally, I'm really tired of super thick 3/16 knives because I was ant a knife and not a pry bar. I like thinner blades closer to the 1/8" side of things. I'm also a sucker for anything in green so the handle part is easy to decide.

I didn't realize the Gen 5 was only offered in Scandi and Saber grinds. On the other hand, it's likely that at some point one of their bigger dealers will commission a run of them with a special blade steel and often they include otherwise unavailable grinds as well (I think that may be how the full convex got into the regular Genesis offerings).

You might also like the Kephart versions that Bark River makes. The spines aren't as sharp as LTW (whose is?), but that can "fixed." They generally use thinner stock and a flat grind or a full convex that is very close to flat.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The bark river looks like a nice one, but I recently picked up a SRO Kephart and it's almost identical blade length wise. The different grind would be nice, but I think LT will eventually get a flat grind out of their new Gen 5. It's just a matter of time and they just released the new model. I'm not running low on sharp and pointy things so I should be in great shape now and into the foreseeable future.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The bark river looks like a nice one, but I recently picked up a SRO Kephart and it's almost identical blade length wise. The different grind would be nice, but I think LT will eventually get a flat grind out of their new Gen 5. It's just a matter of time and they just released the new model. I'm not running low on sharp and pointy things so I should be in great shape now and into the foreseeable future.

Have seen through my enabling attempts? I need to enjoy getting a new knife through someone else. HAHAH!

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    So I did wind up buying a couple of LT Wright's knives. A scandi Gen 5 in A2 steel, and a Bushcrafter HC. I have been using the Bushcrafter on a daily basis since it arrived, snd it is growing on me, but I am crazy about the Gen 5.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So I did wind up buying a couple of LT Wright's knives. A scandi Gen 5 in A2 steel, and a Bushcrafter HC. I have been using the Bushcrafter on a daily basis since it arrived, snd it is growing on me, but I am crazy about the Gen 5.

Great choices! Which handle materials did you choose?

I wish they'd do the Bushcrafter HC in 1095 instead of 1075. I'd rather had a little harder edge in lieu of some of the toughness and I doubt if the productions costs would be much more.

Now you have me wanting a small Northern Hunter . . .

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    Great choices! Which handle materials did you choose?

I wish they'd do the Bushcrafter HC in 1095 instead of 1075. I'd rather had a little harder edge in lieu of some of the toughness and I doubt if the productions costs would be much more.

Now you have me wanting a small Northern Hunter . . .

The Gen 5 has black micarta scales with toxic green liners. The Bushcrafter HC has red burlap micarta. Next on my list will be an LTWK Overland Machete.

Top Bottom