• ...and so much more!
  • MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    A couple years ago I picked up a Cabela's 8" meat slicer in the bargain cave. It replace an antique meat slicer/boat anchor I had been using for years.

Saturday I was making a batch of beef jerky, so the slicer comes out to get the job done. It works fine, albeit a little slow with the meat being frozen when I cut it. Yet as I was cleaning everything up I noticed a nick in the blade(probably been there since I got it). Lucky me, the slicer comes with it's own handy sharpener! That doesn't even contact the cutting edge of the blade. :xmad:

Does anyone here know if a local(central IN) place could sharpen the blade on a meat slicer?
    I don't have a problem of shipping it somewhere either, if that's a better option. I just want it done right.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i little place in southern indiana called edgetech they take dull knicked cutting things and make them sharp again i work in the printing industry and i send them a 40 inch long hydrolic cutter blades to be sharpened, i think its 25.00 and takes about a week from drop off to pick up, they do ship blades ups and they also sharpen circular blades

we've used them for 30+ years, along with every other print shop in southernn indiana, illinois and Kentucky!

back in high school I remember my printing teacher throwing a fit, cussing, screaming, throwing a fit because some jackass student cut a tape gun in 1/2, it put a nick in the blade about 3/8 to a 1/4 in deep, and because of that, it shortened the life of the blade by 2-3 years!...man he was pissed!

EDGETEK, Inc. - Precision Grinding | Tool Sharpening | Custom Repairs and Fabrication

they'll hook you up, it'll be sharp, and it'll be right!

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Thanks shootersix! I will check them out.

I sharpen my hand tools myself: hand plane irons, chisels, lathe tools, etc. I have seen guys pull out a chisel and start whacking at it like it's a pry bar... makes me cringe, but also reinforces my rule of never loaning my tools out. Some people could tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Slicer blades are easy... you find the angle and just hold the stone in place. The motor does the work.

I think I'll pass on that. Several years ago I hooked my thumb over the guard on the antique slicer/boat anchor. Cut into the knuckle real good. My fingers aren't going that close to the spinney blade again.

Top Bottom