• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orangeman1515

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2014
    Muncie
    I'm going to be all over Japan next week for vacation, and I am going to pick up one or two everyday carry knives. I have several spydercos, but was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on certain brands to keep a look out for that are hard to find in the states.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I'm going to be all over Japan next week for vacation, and I am going to pick up one or two everyday carry knives. I have several spydercos, but was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on certain brands to keep a look out for that are hard to find in the states.

I thought that pocket knives were illegal in Japan, and just found this on the internet:

Some people might carry a pocket knife for self-defense or simply for the sake of convenience for all kinds of tasks in their own country.

This is against the law in Japan, as pocket knives are regarded as weapons. Carrying a knife with a locking blade, or a folding blade longer than 5.5 cm (around two inches), is illegal in Japan.

The same goes for swords, which are also illegal to carry in Japan without a special permit. If you wish to purchase a sword in Japan, consult with the shop to arrange shipment to your home country. Be sure to check with customs officials in your home country to understand the laws regarding import of weapons such as swords.

Note that if you purchase kitchen knives in Japan, you will want to ensure they are either shipped to your home address or that they remain in their original packaging and preferably in a suitcase or otherwise relatively inaccessible

orangeman1515

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2014
    Muncie
    The kitchen knives are sealed in a box, and everything clears at the airport if the seal is not broken. I guess I was hoping you could buy fixed blade all purpose knives the same way.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Any of the "big name" knives sold in Japan I'd be leery of the fakes coming out of China. Some Chinese Spydercos that are already iinexpensive are copied, and fairly well, and sold for still a little less

Unless it's something really that speaks to me and I know exactly what it is, I'd have a hard time buying a knife overseas. This is if your plan was to buy something while you are there.

I know some people who buy a cheap knife on vacation while reaching their destination then toss it when they leave

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Are you sufficiently fluent in Japanese to understand their legal code and effectively interact with the authorities if something goes wrong? How often have tourists been attacked in Japan?

And let's not forget that you have posted on the internet the intent to violate Japanese law.

What could possibly go wrong?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I looked it up...
    Apparently everybody in Japan carries Katanas.

mMDbQwo.png

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I had a similar problem when I was in Korea last year

I only brought a cheap EDC and carried discreetly in my pocket

I did see Swiss Army knives for about 20% cheaper than what we can get stateside.

Other knives were 20% over MSRP

I did buy a few handmade kitchen knives to bring back as gifts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I had a similar problem when I was in Korea last year

I only brought a cheap EDC and carried discreetly in my pocket

I did see Swiss Army knives for about 20% cheaper than what we can get stateside.

Other knives were 20% over MSRP

I did buy a few handmade kitchen knives to bring back as gifts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I could go visit the Motherland one day. Mum was from Busan (Pusan old style).

Top Bottom