• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Some of us get attached to certain knives for a variety of reasons, so those examples go beyond tool into the realm of treasure. I was thinking of this as I was taking photos of some knives to sell earlier this evening. If you'd asked me a year ago, my "never sell" list would have been quite long. Now, it's limited to knives with sentimental value (usually gifts from family and friends) or something that shows enough honest wear from use that a reasonable selling price would make it unwise to sell.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I ave 3 that will be with me till its all over.
    They are part of the legacy package I have put together for my kids. Each gets a mouse custom 1911 and one of my knives.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    A cheap prototype Made by Mel and Joe Pardue, given to me by Joe Pardue at Blade 2015 after spending the evening with the entire Pardue family. It was a proto for OKC, but handmade, it eventually became a $25 Utilitac. This was a joint father son collab that wasn’t chosen as a production model. And my Prototype #002 Emerson Combat Hawk with oak scales from Washington’s Mt Vernon.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Absolutely. My late father was an animal when it came to hand honing. He carried a classic Buck knife. (110?) He kept it RAZOR sharp. No fancy tools or guides, just a set of ceramic crock sticks in the block of wood.

It sits in my gun safe. How sharp? Lets just say he suffered from a condition of tiny bald patches on his forearms... The result of testing whether it could shave skin or not. That is how he knew he was done... It didnt hurt to remove a bit of hair. :):

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    In the early 1970's, I was at an Air Force training school on the south side of Denver, CO. I wanted some basic equipment for hiking and backpacking in the nearby Rocky Mountains.
    This Gerber Magnum Hunter cost about $50 at a local outdoor outfitter. It was a major purchase decision, because as a lowly airman, that represented about a week's salary !
    Forty-seven years have passed, and I still relish this knife, and think about the places it has been. No, it'll never be sold.

i-n4VHKRP-XL.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It will all depend on whether any of the 4 grandsons have any interest as they get older and before I assume room temperature.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    1/4” thick spline knife custom made in Noblesville. Brown wood handle, stained dark blade. My dads neighbor makes knives apparently and he bought me one. Don’t know any details other than it holds an edge like high carbon and super durable. It is my hunting blade now and will never leave me. I’ve got better blades, but this one is special

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I have an old Schrader fixed blade my older brother had. I found while going through his stuff after he passed.
    I have used it over the last 6 years for about everything. Nothing fancy but the steel is top grade. Stays very sharp with very little effort.
    I will never sell it and my son will own it once I go meet my maker.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    My grandfather has been doing the later in life dispersement of material possessions thing lately. He has taken to giving me a knife each time I see him. Mostly newer schrades and sharps but there are two he has given me that I will definitely never let go. A USA made Schrade Old Timer and a very basic Victorinox folder that he put a razor sharp edge on at some point.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My grandfather has been doing the later in life dispersement of material possessions thing lately. He has taken to giving me a knife each time I see him. Mostly newer schrades and sharps but there are two he has given me that I will definitely never let go. A USA made Schrade Old Timer and a very basic Victorinox folder that he put a razor sharp edge on at some point.

I have a friend that is doing much the same thing right now. I try and see him as much as time allows. Not for his stuff but to spend some moments with him and share memories. Time. It is the thing we all watch. There is not enough of it.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i got quite a few blades when my dad passed, he was kind of a collector, he had quite a few the were never carried or used, and i know i'll never sell any, but right now im torn, i want to carry and use them, but since he never did, idk if i'd be going against what he really wanted.

BUT there was one i didnt sell, but i did give away, for those who dont know, ive worked part time in a gun shop for over 10 years, mostly on saturdays, and in that time, ive gotten to know quite a few people as friends instead of customers, one guy is an avid case knife collector, i mean sometimes he'd come in and buy 500 dollars worth of case knives, he'd stop in and say "shootersix im on a russloc kick today" and he'd buy 3 or 4, or he'd say "shootersix, im looking for blue handles today" and buy 4 or 5, i called him one day and told him we were going out of business (owners retiring) and taking 20% off all knives, he came in with his daughter (who also collects knives), and they spent almost a thousand! that was after I gave them a 25% discount since they bought so many!, one time he said (after picking out 4) "I want one more"...I looked down and said "i'm not a fancy kind of knife guy, but I like this one" and picked one up, he replied "I was thinking about that one!"

so back to the story, dirk (the customer) was in one day, and I asked him if he would be interested in one of my dads case knives (he only had 2 or 3 and gentleman's knives aren't really my taste or style) he said sure, dad had one without a box, but had the brown tissue paper overwrap, I handed it to him and he asked how much I wanted for it, I said nothing, all I want is for it to go to a good home with someone who'll appreciate it and use it, he said thanks.

he stopped in a few weeks later, spent 500 on knives, bought a case dealer sign and a case display case that we had (new in box never opened!) and he reached in his pocket and pulled out a brown plastic handle copperlock, he said he sharpened it and he carries it everyday, I told him that my dad would be happy!, then I told him that dad also had a stag handle cheetah with box and tissue paper, and that I was keeping that one, but i'll never carry/sell/use it.

ive got a 30 gallon tote full of dads knives, and at the gun shop, we had an old cold steel knives table top display, the owner gave it to me, ive put a few of dads "middle of the road knives" in it (sog trident's, Kershaw blur, a jeff white knife that dad put stag handles on, and a few more), but ive got his really nice knives in my gunsafe.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I’ve got an Adventure Sworn Classic that was custom made, even though the materials I chose were far from the typical bushcraft knife, it means a lot knowing that I’m the only one with that specific knife. It’s a CPM 154 blade Classic with GITD liners and clear CTeK scales

Another non sell would be the River Bottom Blades Rooklore that was gifted to me by one of my closest buddies. Because it was a gift, I’d never sell it

86f369046bf745e8464bcc050a168214.jpg

80cd6c844bdb77cde74e387cd54db420.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Case XX Quartermaster knife my Dad carried in WWII in the South Pacific.
    He gave it to me when I got my first gun (Ithaca Model 49 single shot lever action).
    I grew up on the Little Wabash River in SE Stalinois and carried it so much camping and hunting that I wore off part of the leather grip rings.
    A friend put me in touch with a guy years ago and he put in the newer rings (dark ones).
    One of these days I will finish them out

IMG_0555.jpg IMG_0554.jpg

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I have two. One is a 1990s Case knife I was given after my grandpa died.

The other is a sword I pulled out of this stone. I didn’t see what the big deal was, but I got a new job out of it.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have some fixed blade Mayos and a couple that were my design made by Sean Kendrick, a fixed blade given to me by Kit Carson before he died and a couple other folders that were gifts like my Jim Smyth prototype. Those should never be sold.

Top Bottom