Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Sharpening Scissors

Wonder what is the preferred method INGO edge experts use to sharpen scissors?

I've taken stabs at it with my sharpmaker, but never took the time and effort to keep going long enough to get really good results.

My specific predicament is that my trusted kitchen Gerber game sheers will not cut the foodsaver vacuum bags.

TIA

-----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

User Info Menu

A piece of tempered glass with some 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper rubber cemented to it. The idea is to square the corner up. Do not touch the flats where the shears meet but lay the ground face of the shear on the paper with some water and, maintaining the angle, slide the scissor longitudinally. A bit of the old "in out, in out" if you will.. the game shears can usually benefit from a bit of tightening. If they are the take apart kind the tightening process involves removing the center bolt and stoning the flats that butt up against the inside of the shear. I bought a set of shears designed for EPDM roofing at the hdwr store and they are the berries. Large, tough and very sharp.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

Resident Dumbass II GLOCKMAN23C's Avatar

User Info Menu

I always have scissors professionally done. I can't remember who we used, it's been almost 20 years since I've had to get a pair sharpened. I want to say his name was John, and he ran a mobile service. I'll check and see if I can find who it was.
    2006 Mustang for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Get outta my damn yard.......
    Quote Originally Posted by db1959 View Post
    The wind likes to blow my balls around.
    I will not give, not one more inch. No more compromise. From my cold dead hands.

GOA Member

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. --Thomas Jefferson

A HAM with a radio, and nothing to say.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

My handy dandy tool belt knife sharpener has a scissors application. It is hard to describe but it will put an edge on the shears.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Buy The Razor's Edge Book of Sharpening.
    It will show you how to do it properly.
    https://www.razoredgesystems.com/pro...-of-sharpening
    The wild dogs cry out in the night as they grow restless, longing for some solitary company.

User Info Menu

Scissors are unforgiving of deviations from the angle at which they are beveled. I would use a guided sharpening system of some kind that helps or forces you to maintain the same angle. A Tormek would work well.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Plinker

User Info Menu

My 30 year old SpiderCo Tri-Angle sharpening set handles scissors effortlessly as well as keeping knives in the kitchen very sharp. Very occasionally I have to re-profile a knife edge as the bevel gets too large to quickly sharpen at the fixed angle. Highly recommended.
    --Rick

User Info Menu

I just buy new ones.
    Medium speed. Moderate drag.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I have a knike sharpener that has a scissor sharpener on them.. Smiths sharpener. Sold at lowes, menards, rural king, walmart. Its an orange yellow with scissor sharpener, ceramic sticks, carbide tungsten sharpener. Puts a good edge on my knife too..

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I just buy new ones.
    That has been a thought, if it's not practical to sharpen them. Maybe just sprinkle around some cheap medical "penny cutters"?

Quote Originally Posted by ndawoods25 View Post
    I have a knike sharpener that has a scissor sharpener on them.. Smiths sharpener. Sold at lowes, menards, rural king, walmart. Its an orange yellow with scissor sharpener, ceramic sticks, carbide tungsten sharpener. Puts a good edge on my knife too..
    Interesting. Ten bucks...

Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast