• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder what is the preferred method INGO edge experts use to sharpen scissors?

I've taken stabs at it with my sharpmaker, but never took the time and effort to keep going long enough to get really good results.

My specific predicament is that my trusted kitchen Gerber game sheers will not cut the foodsaver vacuum bags.

TIA

:ingo:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    A piece of tempered glass with some 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper rubber cemented to it. The idea is to square the corner up. Do not touch the flats where the shears meet but lay the ground face of the shear on the paper with some water and, maintaining the angle, slide the scissor longitudinally. A bit of the old "in out, in out" if you will.. the game shears can usually benefit from a bit of tightening. If they are the take apart kind the tightening process involves removing the center bolt and stoning the flats that butt up against the inside of the shear. I bought a set of shears designed for EPDM roofing at the hdwr store and they are the berries. Large, tough and very sharp.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I always have scissors professionally done. I can't remember who we used, it's been almost 20 years since I've had to get a pair sharpened. I want to say his name was John, and he ran a mobile service. I'll check and see if I can find who it was.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Scissors are unforgiving of deviations from the angle at which they are beveled. I would use a guided sharpening system of some kind that helps or forces you to maintain the same angle. A Tormek would work well.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    My 30 year old SpiderCo Tri-Angle sharpening set handles scissors effortlessly as well as keeping knives in the kitchen very sharp. Very occasionally I have to re-profile a knife edge as the bevel gets too large to quickly sharpen at the fixed angle. Highly recommended.
    --Rick

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have a knike sharpener that has a scissor sharpener on them.. Smiths sharpener. Sold at lowes, menards, rural king, walmart. Its an orange yellow with scissor sharpener, ceramic sticks, carbide tungsten sharpener. Puts a good edge on my knife too..

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just buy new ones.
    That has been a thought, if it's not practical to sharpen them. Maybe just sprinkle around some cheap medical "penny cutters"?

I have a knike sharpener that has a scissor sharpener on them.. Smiths sharpener. Sold at lowes, menards, rural king, walmart. Its an orange yellow with scissor sharpener, ceramic sticks, carbide tungsten sharpener. Puts a good edge on my knife too..

Interesting. Ten bucks...

71srfvBpcxL._SL1500_.jpg

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Ask around at your local barber/hair salons.
    They've got someone who sharpens their scissors on a regular basis, and can surely provide a reference.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    What rosejm said. Ask around at a hair salon. They can give you some suggestions. For a really high quality pair of scissors, I use a company called Whitman’s. They are out of Michigan, but are down in this area frequently. They do very nice work, and are the only ones I’d trust with a few pair.
    Check out any decent size dog show. There is almost always someone there who sharpens scissors.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks for the info folks!

I have a daughter in the hair biz, so yes I am familiar with professional services for scissor sharpening. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to have them professionally sharpened.

I use these scissors a lot in the kitchen and garden. It's taken them years to get dull enough to notice. They still cut most things fine, the tough foodsaver vacuum bags are the problem.

I tried the penny cutters and they cut through the vac bags just fine. I can take a stab at destroying the the Gerber game shears, when I get around to it.

Top Bottom