• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm on the lookout to drop some pretty pennies on some high quality kitchen knives... who in Indy sells high quality Japanese and German kitchen knives?

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Is the high end kitchen ware company still in biz at the Edinburgh outlet mall? They used to carry a bunch of sets.

mensajess

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Greenwood
    Bed bath and beyond or williams sonoma (are they still at keystone?) would be the best local stops. Professionally I would recommend Global, Wustoff, or Henckels that you can find locally. Only buy by the piece, avoid sets. If they won't let you handle the knife and test the fit in your hand, walk away. Comfort in your hand is most important, edge retention comes second.
    My daily driver is a 11" Mac Professional, a bit more money than the locally available stuff but fantastic in my opinion.
    If you want REALLY nice you will have to travel or go online
    korin.com and chefknivestogo.com are my go to's for drooling and accessories

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was admiring the hefty steak knives at Longhorn Steakhouse the other day. You can buy a set of four for $35 and they feel really good in the hand. Probably not at all what the OB is looking for but I thought I’d throw it out there.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Be careful, many of the big brands have cheaper China stuff then they have the good, top shelf ones.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Be careful, many of the big brands have cheaper China stuff then they have the good, top shelf ones.

So much this. Personally, I'd steer clear of any of the major German brands (Wustof, Henkels) because the chef knives are too thick to cut well. My $40 Victorinox runs circles around my $200 Wustof. I just buy Victorinox and give them the Tormek treatment. Nobody's complaining yet (well, apart from the cost of a Tormek, that is).

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    While shopping for knives be sure to pick up a method for maintaining their edge so they stay sharp for your use.

I am far from a sharpening expert but this Lansky system and a strop helps me keep my knives ready.

knifework-2.1__44710.1566587941.jpg

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Looking for a high quality japanese knife in the $100-150 range, I want a chef knife and a nakiri knife as well, perhaps also a nice pairing knife.

sellersdw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Typically go to William Sonoma or Crate and Barrel. If you get the right sales rep you can test drive the knifes.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    So much this. Personally, I'd steer clear of any of the major German brands (Wustof, Henkels) because the chef knives are too thick to cut well. My $40 Victorinox runs circles around my $200 Wustof. I just buy Victorinox and give them the Tormek treatment. Nobody's complaining yet (well, apart from the cost of a Tormek, that is).

+1 on the Victorinox. There is a reason most commercial kitchens and meat processors use them. They work VERY WELL for the price point.

Kind of like the Mora of kitchen knives.

Top Bottom