• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Just kinda curious on how big of a knife everyone would carry as an EDC. I guess it would all depend on the circumstances and needs. What do y'all think?

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I agree with you in terms of circumstances and needs. But being a knife junky, I just can’t seem to stick to just one knife. In terms of size, I think blade size of 3-3 1/2 is good for a folder. Fixed blade I prefer 4 to 4 1/2. All that being said, my Spyderco PM2 will always be my standard for EDC.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    If im stuck in town it's my 3.5in benchmade.
    If I'm in the woods or at the farm, it's my 4in esee.
    I am looking for a nice outdoor/bushcraft fixed blade, so carry on :popcorn:

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    If im stuck in town it's my 3.5in benchmade.
    If I'm in the woods or at the farm, it's my 4in esee.
    I am looking for a nice outdoor/bushcraft fixed blade, so carry on :popcorn:

I might have a kind of peculiar blade if you're interested. Shoot me a pm and I'll send you some pictures and details.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Who carries only one knife anyway? :dunno:

The smallest one I carry has a 1 7/8" blade (425 Mini Buck).It's big enough to take care of most of your daily tasks like opening boxes, cutting tape etc.

It doesn't scare "non-knife-folks" when you need to use it next to them.

Buck-MiniBuck-Keychain-Black-Satin-0425BKS-B-BHQ-41352-jr-large.jpg

Less scary than a Cold Steel Espada! :faint:

b293096478fef4eb800ab7bc34479449.jpg

SpydieSig

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 26, 2019
    Lafayette
    I like a folder between 3.5-4" personally. A big knife can do things a small knife can't but not vice versa. But I've started carrying a smaller folder too.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Mission drives the gear. EDC, Spyderco Pacific Salt for utility folder, Emerson CQC7 Or Commander for defensive use, and Clinch Pick for stabby pokey use. If camping, the clinch pick gets traded for an IZula, and a also have an ESEE3 or 6 for field use. Suit and tie would be Delica utility, Spartan Kranos or Microtech Ultratech, for defensive use and Clinch Pick. Canoeing, kayaking and swimming Pacific Salt, And ESEE3.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've found lately that a Scallywag Tactical Privateer folder hits the sweet spot between length, width, heft, lock mech, and price.

I'm a serial quality "budget" knife buyer. Ask my wife. No. Wait. Please don't.

I haven't yet moved into the realm of carrying a fixed blade. I have before, a KBar TDI, but that's only been as a test to see if it'd work and if I could pull it off. I'll need to upgrade the sheath if I'm to carry it regularly. I've also thought about something small, like an ESEE Izula or Canidru to carry horizontally. I think that'd work well as I most often don't tuck a shirt in.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I mostly carry a knife because I like to. I don’t really use it all that much living in a non-rural area. I sticker to smaller knives with thinner blades so they slice better when I do need them for a minor job. I just ordered a PM3 because it seemed like it would be a perfect size for my needs.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I like a folder between 3.5-4" personally. A big knife can do things a small knife can't but not vice versa...

Yep. Most days I carry a ZT0452CF with a 4.1" blade. If I think I'm going to need to chop down a tree or something, I carry a ZT0300BW with a 3.75" blade.

deeno3432

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 4, 2018
    heartland
    I'm now carrying the largest edc knife I ever had, spyderco resilence. I got it as a Christmas present and I dont see the need for a knife this big but I guess it's good to have more blade to work with. To each their own. One rule I do follow is I'm not carrying a knife that's a hassle to replace money or availabilitywise.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    I've found that for me, a 3.5-4" folder works for just about everything I've needed to cut. Anything bigger seems to take up too much real estate in my pocket. I mentioned in another thread that I'm currently carrying a Kershaw Link which seems to be holding up quite well.

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    For the last 2-3 years I have been very happy with my Microtech LUDT. The clip works well with everything I have needed to wear (jeans to tuxedo), never loose, just right. The blade shape works for all my needs so far. I can't think of a knife I have carried in the 50 years I have been tote'n a knife that I have liked better.

blbmonster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I mostly carry a knife because I like to. I don’t really use it all that much living in a non-rural area. I sticker to smaller knives with thinner blades so they slice better when I do need them for a minor job. I just ordered a PM3 because it seemed like it would be a perfect size for my needs.
    Did you get the standard S30V? I have fallen in love with Spyderco's S110V. Cuts forever!

blbmonster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I have found that I prefer a 3.5" blade. I do love heft in the pocket! I want to know that I have a substantial tool in my pocket that is going to ruin some poor apples day. I've typically got a Chris Reeve Umnumzaan or Sebenza. I really love my Hinderer XM-18 Fatty's too. I'll be honest here, I normally carry more than one knife because I can't choose. I've got too many.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom