Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    Esse 4. Big enough for chopping and batoning. Small enough for more delicate tasks. One of the most well rounded knives out there.
    ^^^ what MCG said. I have a couple ESEEs and my 4 is used most all of the time for outside activities.

KG1
    Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
    ESEE 6 and a Mora Companion together.
    ^This^ would cover all the bases for a good camping knife kit.

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the help. Like I said we rarely camp now but my kids are really getting into it. My wife grew up in California and her family did a lot of camping in big bear but I have only camped in Indiana. We will not be building our own shelter to sleep in so I am not looking for knives that I can beat on all day long for weeks on end. We will be in a tent and we want to teach our kids some of the camping stuff we know. I understand the concept of having a bunch of knives for every task but I also understand that just because people carry 10 knives camping they may still only use one or 2. My dad is a mechanic and has a draw full of probably close to 100 screw drivers but he grabs the same one every time. I have seen this man spend 20 minutes trying to find the one that his grandkid left out instead of getting a different one. Down the road I will probably pick up more but right now I will be spending a bunch of money on new gear so I am looking to spend around $100 to cover my needs. Maybe I should just buy 2 or 3 Mora knives for now and see which one I grab for most uses.

Plinker

User Info Menu

https://www.amazon.com/ESEE-ESPR4BO-.../dp/B0791M2C3T

Made by Esee but without the coating.

User Info Menu

ESEE 4 It is also my EDC knife too. I use the kydex sheath that comes with it and put soft belt loops on it so I can carry it IWB.
    Jay/lonehoosier INGOer #14,649

Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    IF they concealed their contempt as well as they concealed their handgun, it would be a much more meaningful conversation.
    For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

KG1
    Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 66chevelle View Post
    Thank you all for the help. Like I said we rarely camp now but my kids are really getting into it. My wife grew up in California and her family did a lot of camping in big bear but I have only camped in Indiana. We will not be building our own shelter to sleep in so I am not looking for knives that I can beat on all day long for weeks on end. We will be in a tent and we want to teach our kids some of the camping stuff we know. I understand the concept of having a bunch of knives for every task but I also understand that just because people carry 10 knives camping they may still only use one or 2. My dad is a mechanic and has a draw full of probably close to 100 screw drivers but he grabs the same one every time. I have seen this man spend 20 minutes trying to find the one that his grandkid left out instead of getting a different one. Down the road I will probably pick up more but right now I will be spending a bunch of money on new gear so I am looking to spend around $100 to cover my needs. Maybe I should just buy 2 or 3 Mora knives for now and see which one I grab for most uses.
    Mora would be a great choice for an all around camping knife. I have several myself. Never had an issue with them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
    ESEE 6 and a Mora Companion together.

Well played. Great combo
    Rifleman
    NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    USPSA NROI

Adaptive Consulting & Training
    Riley Conservation Club

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To Prevail...you must ACT!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 66chevelle View Post
    If youíre going to process any firewood of substance, the Mora just doesnít have the guts, thatís why I recommended an ESEE6 and Mora Companion together. The 6 will process any wood up to and including large saplings, and the Mora will make quick work of any and all smaller tasks, including food prep. ESEE will run a little over $100 and the Mora in the $20 something range, and you wonít NEED any other knives, youíll just WANT them.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I bought a Benchmade Barrage 580 last year for camping and backpacking. Great little knife. Liked it enough that I bought another for my son-in-law for Christmas.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast