• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Im in the market for a few pars of EMT Shears. What should I be looking for? Are there any well-respected brands? Where to buy? Any guidance is appreciated.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    All my IFAKs have a generic pair of trauma shears I picked up in the pharmacy section of the local Meijer. I think they were under $10.

A lot of the taticool medical folks like the Leatherman Raptor shears because they fold up compact and have multiple tools.

https://www.leatherman.com/raptor-51.html

Personally I think the ~ $60+.price tag is pretty salty considering I don't make a living working out of the back of an ambulance.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I carry ones I got from NAR, and a set of mini ones that came with my Ryker AFAK. I’ve looked at the Raptor, but likeMCgrease08 wasn’t willing to spend the coin.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I have the same ones from meijer they have a grey and yellow handle. I've used one pair a couple of times and they've never not cut. I have cut a seatbelt, the tops off a pair of cowboy boots and denim no problem.

MnemonicMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    I usually get the not-quite-the-cheapest ones. Doesn't hurt as much when they disappear.

Check out the Benchmade Rescue Hook as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    All my IFAKs have a generic pair of trauma shears I picked up in the pharmacy section of the local Meijer. I think they were under $10.

A lot of the taticool medical folks like the Leatherman Raptor shears because they fold up compact and have multiple tools.

https://www.leatherman.com/raptor-51.html

Personally I think the ~ $60+.price tag is pretty salty considering I don't make a living working out of the back of an ambulance.

after 25 yrs in EMS these are all I will use. Those cheap ones are good for a few incidents and then a PIA. If you pay more your more apt to keep track of them. Same philosophy I used for buying Oakley.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I get a pair every time I order from NAR. I have probably ten pair in my bag and I use them until they’re either blood soaked or don’t work well, then I toss em and start on a new pair.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I usually get mine from my daughter when she leaves them behind in my car. They are just the generic kind that are used in the hospital ER. Since I'm not is a first responder and only have them in a personal trauma kit for when I'm out in the woods, so a slightly used pair will work, especially since they will probably only see one use.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    If you have the coin. The Raptors are well worth it. I thought about cheap ones, but I have had cheap scissors and good scissors. I use the raptors more than my knife, and the extras on them are nice. Leatherman in the boss with their customer service too.

• 01420HC Stainless Steel Folding Shears
    • 02Strap Cutter
    • 03Ring Cutter
    • 04Ruler (5 cm)
    • 05Oxygen Tank Wrench
    • 06Carbide Glass Breaker

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I like shopping where I can see and feel the quality of what I am buying. Go to a nurse/medical uniform supply shop. They usually have some hardware items you can look at.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    They should cut through a copper penny. Thats how we tested them when I was an EMT 40 yrs ago.

Yep...
    That was a great selling point and it worked well.

I was the treasurer for our fire dept and one of out guys sees that advertisement, then everyone wants me to order them all some "Penny Cutting Shears" including the firefighters. Fine, so I did. But then they started to actually cut pennys with them just to see if was really true.
    Oh boy did the chief and I get pissed. I had to reorder several more because of all the instant dull shears our department had.
    Morons.

Yes they can cut pennies..... once or twice. But then they suck with cutting trousers and shirts when you really need them. :xmad:

To this day, if you were to move their old lockers, you would still find a few half cents sitting around.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    If you have the coin. The Raptors are well worth it. I thought about cheap ones, but I have had cheap scissors and good scissors. I use the raptors more than my knife, and the extras on them are nice.

I guess it depends on what you are doing with them, but if you are employed in a job where they're going to get bloody a lot I wouldn't even bother. Too many small areas on those to try to clean between uses. Most of the cheaper ones work pretty well and once they're covered in blood it won't hurt so bad to toss them and pull out a new pair.

Top Bottom