• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Always have a knife. Hate to fly as I feel naked without one. First stop after flying into a new town is to buy a throwaway knife. Just something cheap at the first gas station or convenience store. Leave as a gift if I can otherwise into the trash just before TSA confiscation point.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have carried a pocket knife everyday sense junior high and to this day it goes in my pocket along with my wallet first thing every morning. It amazes me how many times I hear someone ask to borrow a knife.

Good article! Sadly, few even think of anyone they know as carrying a knife. We live in a disposable time, nothing can be fixed...

I meant most modern junk. Knives are carried by those that actually work with things and have ability to reason how to fix it, with a knife being the first response tool. It also makes a great self defense tool...

Last edited:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Yup, I always have a knife handy. Lately, it's more likely to be hanging around my neck, than in my pocket.
    Patience0830 makes a valid point about "trust" . :yesway:

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    Not only do I carry a pocketknife every day, but 2 handkerchiefs. I sew double layer hankies myself and have a drawer full of multiple colors and patterns.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    I carry 2 blades. 1 is the small 3 blade Buck Workman. Minor tasks done. Second is a tactical folder, or even a fixed blade like a Kabar Short Marine style or a bushcraft style in a leather sheath. Second one is a rescue tool, heavier tasks done.
    Have bigger and heavier tools if woods traveling, hunting, or hiking.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    At my Dad's retirement party, a secretary asked if anyone had a knife.
    Every one of my brothers, and my Dad, pulled out a knife.
    The lady seemed perplexed, and asked, why do you all have a knife?
    One of us answered, why do you think we only have one? And some of us pulled out a 2nd.
    Then another said, we carry a knife in case a young lady asks if anyone has a knife. Why would you ask for a knife, then be surprised when we have a knife?

It was Chicago, so we didn't even bother to bring up guns.
    :)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

:yesway:

Also, I still remember the knife my parents gave me when I was in Boy Scouts, and I earned my Totin Chip.
    I carried that knife everywhere, all the time, except school, because schools were freaking out about them.
    Sometime when I was an adult, the snap on the pouch broke.
    I thought, I really need to fix that.
    But I never did. I put it off, you know how that is.
    And one day, that knife was gone.
    It wasn't an expensive or fancy knife.
    But the memories it evoked.
    I still kick myself to this day for not fixing or replacing the pouch.

I have several knives. I carry 2 of them each day. Well, one is a knife, one is a multitool.
    They are good knives.
    But they aren't the knife that my parents gave me, another step on my journey from boyhood to manhood.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've carried pocket knives since I was a youngster. Taught my children to carry them. My daughter calls them the Handy Dandy Pocket Knives. They are a part of getting dressed...even around the house.

In German hunting culture if you are caught at the local Gahst Haus without a knife you are buying the drinks.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    “Always carry a knife with you. In case there’s cheesecake. Or you need to stab someone in the throat.”

Gen. James Mattis (supposedly)

But still solid advice.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I carried a Schrade UH875(Stockman?) 3 blade pocket knife or a LB5 for 30 years or more. Finally retired them to a dresser drawer when I went to a Leatherman PSTll 10 years ago. Felt guilty when I did it and still do to this day. There is just something about a pocketknife that brings back childhood memories and of a time when your grandfather was the smartest man in the world. Even now, when the moon is right and the the stars align just so, I swear I can can hear those knives calling my name. And when they do, I take them out, give them a touch of oil, and quietly talk of days gone by with them.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I carry 2 blades. 1 is the small 3 blade Buck Workman. Minor tasks done. Second is a tactical folder, or even a fixed blade like a Kabar Short Marine style or a bushcraft style in a leather sheath. Second one is a rescue tool, heavier tasks done.
    Have bigger and heavier tools if woods traveling, hunting, or hiking.

I forgot to mention the Gerber multi-tool. It has a knife in it and it is kept very sharp.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Better question would have been

What is the type of “man” who doesn’t carry a knife?

note: my wife carries a knife.

Why would many today carry a knife? They have no clue how anything works, lack critical thinking skills or common sense, they think the police protect them, just what would they carry a knife for?

A friend sucked up a bunch of rocks in their jet-ski intake and it shut down. Over the course of fixing it I offered several suggestions to fix or make it easier to fix. My friend said "so you have done this before", nope, never touched one before, how do you know this stuff then, he asked? Next time I will just say because I carry a knife... LOL

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't have a knife in my pocket as much as I used to but that's because I always have my keys on me. On my key rings I have a gerber dime (multi tool) and a small Kershaw for opening boxes, packages, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I've got like 3 or 4 of them spaced out between sets of keys so I've alway got one. Makes it easier on the pockets at least. If I'm dressed up nice I often throw a case knife in my pocket.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    If I leave the house, I'm carrying two folders, lg. and small versions of the same knife.

Also, a well-worn Leatherman juice my son gave me - after much consideration and pondering, according to his mother - for my birthday when he was 9 or 10; it remains one of my most prized possessions.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom