• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Just started getting into smoking meat with a new pellet grill. Wondering if any of you could recommend a nice made in USA trimming knife.

Thanks in advance.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would go vintage. Start hitting a few junk shops. Find an old one and fix it up. Unfortunately nothing is made here anymore.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I bought a nice set of knives from Lamson two years ago because it's cheaper than Wustof and are made with the same steel. With the rosewood handles these knives look great! I just did a light sharpening last weekend and they honestly didn't need it.....but that's quarentine for ya.

oqnu4yf.jpg

r5fI8RV.jpg

Kitchen Shears were being cleaned when I snapped the pic this evening.

God Hunting!

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    If you're posting here for suggestions, then one would believe you would pay good money for quality items. I urge you to contact nova512. He make custom cutlery of all types. Here's a pic of the knife he made for me.

015.jpg

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    If you're posting here for suggestions, then one would believe you would pay good money for quality items. I urge you to contact nova512. He make custom cutlery of all types. Here's a pic of the knife he made for me.

015.jpg

Thats very nice. I have a few nice folders (ZT, Microtech, spyderco) and some nicer fixed blades(ESEE, BUSSE, survive!). Our kitchen knives however are calphalon and were a wedding present. They were nice for a few years but not they are starting to rust. Would also like to spend the money on something made here. Is Nova512 just a member on this site, or does he have a website?

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My daily knives are 30 year old Henckles but they are from Germany. I took my Lamson to the RV as they were not as good to me. Look on FB marketplace for old school wood handles made in Germany as the quality is higher than the newer models...

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Thats very nice. I have a few nice folders (ZT, Microtech, spyderco) and some nicer fixed blades(ESEE, BUSSE, survive!). Our kitchen knives however are calphalon and were a wedding present. They were nice for a few years but not they are starting to rust. Would also like to spend the money on something made here. Is Nova512 just a member on this site, or does he have a website?

My knife is made from a variety of Damascus steel. Like any artist, he likes to work with high-end materials and could make something to fit your taste that would last for years (and hold an edge). He's a member here but has a greater presence on facebook. DM me for a link.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My knife is made from a variety of Damascus steel. Like any artist, he likes to work with high-end materials and could make something to fit your taste that would last for years (and hold an edge). He's a member here but has a greater presence on facebook. DM me for a link.

My good kitchen knives are Damascus steel.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You probably should have kept them, a small set can easily be 500 bucks to 1300 for large set of knives.

https://www.cutco.com/products/thumbnail.jsp?shop=knife-sets

They ain't worth it, though.

Their edge retention is crap.

Plus, the serrated ones are near impossible for mortals to sharpen.

Cost has no bearing on long term quality as Jetta points out. They hawk them a Costco regularly, so better deals can be found on them, but still not like my others, and I have had a few.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I couldn't care less about having a set either. I use 5 knives regularly.

A 10-11 inch chef knife. Henckles. Great when I need size.

A 8 inch chef knife. Henckles. Faster to use than the big one on smaller jobs.

A thin blade boning knife. Henckles. Carves up cooked turkey. chicken, and at pig roasts fast.

A paring knife. Synthetic handle Henckles. (Have several as those are run through the dishwasher.)

A long bread or ham slicing knife. Mine is a Case. Slices bread, bagels, etc. very well.

Seldom used are old school Old Hickory I got from Grandma a heavy butcher knife and cleaver.

Again look for the old school stuff as it isn't as cool to the image conscience and is high quality at a great price.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Cost has no bearing on long term quality as Jetta points out. They hawk them a Costco regularly, so better deals can be found on them, but still not like my others, and I have had a few.

Just another thought: Cutco knives are for people that put their knives in the dishwasher (e.g. my mother); they do handle that abuse with aplomb. You'll still ruin the edge, but no rust.

Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    I've got some Cuisinart knives with knife armor on them. Supposedly it makes them dishwasher safe.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom