• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I received a gift of some tools and things from a friend of my MIL, her husband passed away recently and she no longer needed the tools. In the box I came across this Norlund hatchet. I'll admit I know nothing about these things but Google tells me I've got something to be appreciated here so I'm planning to restore it. The current handle is in very sad shape and isn't original or correct from what I can tell. What is the process for finding a new handle that fits properly?

VHdQUthh.jpg

1kT41ihh.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If that's the same size head as my two Norlunds, a boy scout sized axe handle will fit it.

They are very nice small axes. Handy for small work and "cutting the hair" off of downed trees.

One of mine lives in the truck. The little axe could clear enough of a tree top to get through the road, if needed.

They make a fairly decent small hammer if needed. Looks as if yours has been over used for that?

Dave Canterbury made reference to this axe in a vid a few years back. I'll search later to see if I saved a link to it somewhere.

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    Norlund axes are some of my favorites! I have 2 that my Grandfather gave me, a small hatchet and a boy's axe. Measure the length and width of the eye and order a replacement from House Handles. You can select to have it non-laquered, I would suggest this. Once you get it, fit it to the head using sand paper then hammer the wedge in. Once the handle is in place, buy some boiled linseed oil and rub the whole handle down with it. Allow it to soak in and coat it again if necessary. Also pour some on the top of the handle where it goes through the head, this will help it stay seated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom