• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I had one OTF auto, a Dalton Cupid. It fired well and locked up very tight. There are a million clones of it at all sorts of price points. Much more knowledgeable people than me will hopefully chime in, but from what I have gathered double actions are usually more fragile than singles, and there is almost always some play in the blade. As always, you usually get what you pay for, as well.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    If going with an OTF, I would seriously consider Microtech. They make one of the best otf's on the market. You can actually use their knives. Alot of the ones you see sold at gun shows are a novelty and will not hold up to being used. Double action OTF's will always have some blade play, but the higher quality ones will have less. Also, i don't recommend one for to much utility work, if anything sticky gets on the blade it gums up the action if retracted before cleaning.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Microtech or some of the Benchmade models (Infidel?). I don't know if ProTech makes an OTF off the top of my head or not.

Regardless - they're not for any kind of defensive use. Too many things can go wrong / get in the way of the blade firing and fully locking out.

As an EDC knife? Sure. Knock yourself out.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    If nobody has mentioned Microtech, that’d be my suggestion. :D

Benchmade makes good ones too, but I’m a huge fan of Microtech. Great customer service if you ever need it too. I bought one used and it was missing a screw. They had me send it to them and when it came back it had a new screw, but had also been cleaned and sharpened.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Are you asking about brands, or front vs side opening knives?

If you're asking front v. side, then I like front. This is because it allows you to get closer to a useful grip on the knife as the blade is deployed.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Messed with a few as a kid, but could never get around the thought of: if this shot out inside my pocket...what would it hit? :nailbite:

[video=youtube_share;3rAFMC2O9dQ]https://youtu.be/3rAFMC2O9dQ[/video]

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Messed with a few as a kid, but could never get around the thought of: if this shot out inside my pocket...what would it hit? :nailbite:

[video=youtube_share;3rAFMC2O9dQ]https://youtu.be/3rAFMC2O9dQ[/video]

Nothing!...wouldn’t deploy in your pocket, they’ve got a clutch that if it hits resistance it gives way, and won’t cause you or your “member” or thigh, or hand any blood loss, if I take my benchmade infidel in one hand, and hold a piece of paper in the other (with 2 fingers) and deploy the blade, it won’t even go all the way through, it’ll make a small hole, and the clutch will give out, if I hold the handle and sling it out, it’ll pop out and stay out, and it’ll work normally

Top Bottom