Who carries a knife to back up their pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Folders in right front & left rear pockets. I was taught to use the knife as an "anti-grappling device," and carry two because "two is one and one is none" and "you never know which side you're going to fall down on". :) I carry folders b/c they also serve a utility function, and a fixed blade would be deemed too "aggressive" in my normal operating environment.

That said, I don't have a lot of blade training and would like to improve that skillset in the future. Wonder where I could go to do that? ;)

My :twocents:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I carry a gun as a back up to my knife because honestly I'm more proficient and comfortable with my knife than with my gun because it gets used so much more. I carry a microtech socom mini elite in my right pocket and a spyderco tenacious in my left cargo pocket.

Last edited:

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    What knife do you use as your "retention" knife??

I carry a Kabar TDI weak side IWB reverse grip.. But I'm on campus so no pistol on the other side for it to back up :tantrum:

I carry a Cutter Knife & Tool karambit, rugged piece of gear and can be used closed as an
    impact weapon or open to really ruin someones day. It is strictly an "op close and personal" weapon, used for ripping attacks in close.

Between this and my other 2 or 3 "utility" knives carried day to day, i'm set.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Kershaw Leek, but to be honest never really considered it a back up to my pistol. Just another tool if needed.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I carry a KA-BAR warthog folder, use it all the time; it's designed as a "thrusting" tanto blade. I've successfully stabbed through a car door with it.

kabar_warthog_folder_3073_more.jpg

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I tried the Ka-Bar TDI, but could not conceal it well enough on my belt...it does fit nicely in a coat pocket and it deploys pretty fast.
    I usually just keep a Kershaw Blurr in my left front pocket as a tool and a last ditch emergency weapon.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I carry a utility knife... does that count?

I've actually had to use one in SD before I had guns. I've always had a knife on me for as long as I can remember. I've never had anything fancy though.

This little folding utility knife, the kind that takes razorblades is my favorite. It's never dull, it (and ones like it) has been clipped on my pocket in the same place for at least the last 5 years, I use it several times a day and it's become fully instinctual to get it out with blade open in one motion.

For sd? Definitely... I was stabbed with one 3-4 years ago. It makes quick work of human flesh.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    So there I am getting attacked by a car door:)

The only retention side knife I have confidence in is the Emerson Karambit worn on the reaction side in reverse grip. It is below the waist and thus the draw is not interrupted while bending over, crouched or sitting.

I think I have mentioned this before but I don't understand how anyone could have confidence using a knife for SD that they don't have a trainer for. Something else I don't get are fixed blade trainers for live folding knives.

Top Bottom