• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'm pretty new to the whole "carry a knife" thing. I'll start out saying that.

I have a Kershaw Leek, with the older style triple point half serrated blade and need to know if there's anything that will help me sharpen the primary portion of the blade, as well as the serrated part of the blade.

I'll admit up front I'm terrible at holding the blade at the proper angle on a stone, at least in part because I have NO IDEA what the "Proper Angle" looks like.

leek.jpg

Any advice, suggestions, comments, and ridicule welcome.

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have been collecting knives for a long time and and have tryed many differnet sharpening systems. Two that I like are the system from

RazorsEdge - Razor Edge Systems

I like it because of it's guides that keeps the correct angle. I would say it is especially good in returning a neglected edge to a razor sharp edge. Once done you can maintain the edge by "steeling" .

I also use the system from

Edgemaker...EDGEMAKER, The Original Knife Sharpening Tool

This works well in getting a working edge, won't get it to hair shaving edge as the "RazorEdge" system but good enough to get my kitchen knives sharp enough to slicing and dicing.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I use a system that I bought at walmart several years ago. You mount your blade in this clamp and it gives you 2 angles to go with. It's a decent system to start with.
    I now just use a stone. It took some practice to learn to get a feel for it.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    As a last resort (very dull, needs work or parts) send it to
    Warranty Supervisor-KAI U.S.A.
    Kershaw Knives, Zero Tolerance Knives & Shun
    WARRANTY DEPARTMENT
    18600 S.W. TETON AVE.
    TUALATIN, OR. 97062 U.S.A.
    Phone :800-325-2891
    Fax: 1-503-682-7168

with a letter stating what is wrong and they will fix it free. If you just need parts they will send them free as well. Great company.:cheers:

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've had great luck with Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker Sharpener 204MF of all that I've owned this one has been the easiest to use and produced the best results.

+1

I love my Sharpmaker. Packs up neatly into the base as well. It'll sharpen (and has instructions for) damn near anything. From serrated blades to fishing hooks and router bits. It can sharpen it.

Plus it is Spyderco. They don't exactly put their name on crap.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i've got the edgemaker and it works well for tuning up an edge while you are working. i've used a lansky system for years with great results. now i usually carry several knives and give them to rhino for a tuneup. hehe.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Unless you want to change the angle, the best angle to use is the one that the blade already has. If you're having trouble matching it, take a sharpie and color the primary bevel the entire length of the blade. If you're stroking it across your abrasive at the right angle, you'll see the color "wiping" off fairly uniformly. If it's just rubbing in one spot, it will help you adjust.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a Kalamazoo slack belt grinder,EdgePro Apex and various bench mounted diamond hones.They all work but the learning curve could make metal toothpicks outta yer blades.
    My buddy Dexter Ewing did a complete tutorial in Blade Mag a couple issues ago.They still might be available in the Blade Magazine on-line archive.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ah! Slack belt grinder . . . someone owns some convex-grind blades, eh?

I have a Teton Bowie (something Cutlery Shoppe in Idaho imported from Seki City back when the Cold Steel Trailmaster still had a convex edge as a competing product) that could use a couple of touches on the belt.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have sharpened my friends Ang convex edge kukri & parang with that Kalamazoo a couple times.Works pretty Smurfy! I used to lug it around to gunshows sharpening knives for $ but it got too heavy and messy to fool with.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    For people who have no experience sharpening the Lansky system is easy to use and will give excellent results if you follow the instructions. After using it for awhile you can try freehanding on a bench stone.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Get a cheap knife and a stone and practice by keeping the edge on it. That's how grandpa taught us boys. LOL.
    It serves two purposes, one you learn to treat the blade so much nicer, and two by the time you can keep an edge on it you can use about anything to put an edge on one.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Just skip all the cheap stuff, gimmics, and rig-a-ma-role. Get the right thing to do the job the right way the first time and you will me money and frustration ahead the rest of your life.

Lansky crock sticks at knives plus
    www.knivesplus.com/lansky-crock-stick-sharpeners.html

201204.jpg

It's well worth it to have a good knife steel as well, know what it's good for and to know how to use it the right way. A steel is not for sharpening. A steel straightens out the rolled or bent over edge and should be used before you ever start to sharpen any thing. It will cut the time in half or more on most sharpening jobs if it even needs sharpend at all once you have the edge back straight.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Top Bottom