• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    the answer is a few fold. not so much COST (ok, PARTLY cost... ok.. mostly......) but the fact that the SnW knives don't use GOOD steel, they use what is cheap. next up, no one has heard of it. and they are NOT a forward charging knifemaking company. unheard of steel on a spyderco or kershaw? probly ok. on a SnW, frost, cold steal, or similar. junk. next up... lack of info. who has used 4034 with success and has experience with it? no one.... RED FLAG!!!

i could go on, but i hope this is enough......

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    the answer is a few fold. not so much COST (ok, PARTLY cost... ok.. mostly......) but the fact that the SnW knives don't use GOOD steel, they use what is cheap. next up, no one has heard of it. and they are NOT a forward charging knifemaking company. unheard of steel on a spyderco or kershaw? probly ok. on a SnW, frost, cold steal, or similar. junk. next up... lack of info. who has used 4034 with success and has experience with it? no one.... RED FLAG!!!

i could go on, but i hope this is enough......

You forgot to mention they are made in China. Most knives that come from China are junk. When a brand name has something made in China is usually is of less quality. Example you buy a Kershaw made in USA or Japan it's a quality knife, however buy one made in China and you get junk. China can produce a good knife but they normally don't. Again before I get ripped apart like a bleeding man in a pool of sharks. China can make a decent knife just the majority of knives from China are crap. Do research if you are going to buy a knife made in China.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Ya, I suppose that's like my Danner boots; The pair I've had since '03 and cost 200.00 are made in the US. The pair I got issued by the PD cost 80.00, lasted a year and were made in China...

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Steer clear if it's stamped S&W. Its sad when a company that is known for producing great quality products starts stamping they're name on total crap, such as S&W, Colt, Winchester, etc.

JackhammerScott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Georgia
    OK, the tanto blade thread got me looking at the S&W tanto's. I kinda like the looks of the SWMP3BS Smith & Wesson MAGIC Spring Assist Tanto Knife (Black SER) SWMP3BS - Blade Play, but have never heard (I don't think, anyway) of 4034 Stainless. Any good?

I have a friend in the knife (Cheap) industry. He tells me it is sheet stock similar to a 420, but not the 420HC like in some Buck knives. It is the lower carbon variety used in mass produced sub $50.00 knives. That said, I ordered one from S&W and tested it. The steel was a bit brittle and does not take impact too well, but it does get very sharp when resharpening. Good as a last ditch knife, but I would not count on using it every day for a many years. Hope this helps.

JackhammerScott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Georgia
    Steer clear if it's stamped S&W. Its sad when a company that is known for producing great quality products starts stamping they're name on total crap, such as S&W, Colt, Winchester, etc.

I don't agree with you there, every company needs a line available to everyone in any economic situation. You can still find excellent values like the Spec Ops folder with 440C steel, heavy build with excellent life expectancy. You just have to shop. The days of getting a MercWorx quality knife for $35.00 are gone forever. If you know where to get such quality for such a price, publish it and they will have a new customer. Anyway, you can get what you need in almost any manufacturer, you just have to pay more for the real thing. By the way, I only paid $31.99 for my S&W Spec Ops 4 1/4" 440C folder which I find an excellent value.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    can anyone define surgical steel? it honestly means nothing in terms of knives. ever notice how a ton of crap knives say "surgical" on them? either they don't want to TELL you the steel, or they don't know.

It depends... I bought a knock off knife at a flea market that said surgical and turned out to be a p.o.s., but im talking about the kind of metal that surgeons use. i bought a knife in wisconsin, it was a little 2.5 inch knife, but it was made from actual surgical steel, and i had it for four or five years and only had to sharpen it when i flatlined it (my fault, ended up dropping a hammer on the sharp edge), otherwise, it never got dull and it always cut whatever i needed it to.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    It depends... I bought a knock off knife at a flea market that said surgical and turned out to be a p.o.s., but im talking about the kind of metal that surgeons use. i bought a knife in wisconsin, it was a little 2.5 inch knife, but it was made from actual surgical steel, and i had it for four or five years and only had to sharpen it when i flatlined it (my fault, ended up dropping a hammer on the sharp edge), otherwise, it never got dull and it always cut whatever i needed it to.

but "surgical" is not a TYPE of steel. it may be a GRADE of steel, but you can't call a steel company and ask for a spec sheet on "surgical steel". they will ask, "what type of steel?". there are different types of "surgical" steel, just as "tool steel" or "stainless steel". they could just as easily mark the blade "tactical steel" and it would bare the same meaning in terms of the ACTUAL steel or alloy used.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I guess. But back to the 4034 steel. I have a s&w military and police pocket knife and ice never had a problem with it. I use it at work every day and the only thing that went wrong was the little plastic blade lock broke.

Top Bottom