Now I'm that guy justifying expensive knives!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Well this past weekend I was out in Vegas for a Front Sight Class (look for the AAR in the Training forum in the next few days) and we started talking about the Emerson knives they were selling. The 4 out of 5 guys in our group immediately put the knives down because they realized they were 200-400 knives. I put them down because I knew I could get them cheaper elsewhere.

On the way home that evening, knives came up. Most were like, why would you spend 200 on a pocket knife. I then pulled out my ZT and passed it around the car. They had all seen it but not really held it yet. They all agreed that it felt solid and like it could do the job, better than the gerbers/ kershaws they were carrying.

They the price question came up. I told them I paid $239 for it. Most said that was ridiculous. I then went around the car and pointed out how much one guys spent upgrading his M1A he rarely shoots, how much the other guy spend on a custom 500 S&W gun that he has never shot. After this I explained how I use the knife everyday and how I know I can trust it.

I get back to the hotel and realize, crap all the guys on INGO are rubbing off on me!!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    lol it happens. i love it when i am messing around with my buddies and they pull out a cheap knife to do something hard with it and the lock fails, or it just plain breaks and then i pull out my zero tolerance and it finishes what the others couldn't. the price is pretty justified to me also even on some of my more expensive customs

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I am hard on my equipment. not out of neglect but just out of determination. If something needs shot it needs shot. I want my gun to go bang everytime and to hit what I aim it at. If something needs cut it needs cut and I want a knife in my hand that can do the job. It is no secret I really like Emerson. Customer service and quality keep me a loyal customer but I like plenty of others also. The only common denominator is quality. I dont need 10 cheap knives that will fail at the worst time. I need one great knife I can count on. Offcourse I have a few more than one :) but as Clint says Two is One One is none. Buy good kit and take care of it. It will take care of you.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    I LOVE my ZT's and EMERSON's and MICOTECH'S and all my knives but the one I carry/use are QUALITY...!!! How much is your life worth..??? Same goes for GUNs...!!! :):):):)

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I tried to 'splain to a kind in the Sheriff's Academy about blades, even took several in for show and tell, but it was wasted breath on my part.

I love my Emerson knives!

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    A good knife for EDC should be in every ones plans. I use mine several times a day at work, on the farm, and at play. Spend the bucks for good tools and they rarely let you down. I'm working up to a ZT in the future for EDC.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I don't spend that much on tacticals as I don't use them daily, I carry one but it would only be used in an emergency. My AG Russell Folding Spearpoint fills the role nicely for well under $100.00 ... titanium frame lock, 154CM, and the 3" blade doesn't raise eyebrows.

agrspear1.jpg

Now when I take a slipjoint out of my pocket I want eyes to pop...lol...a slipjoint is my daily user, it is what I pull out for the majority of cutting chores that crop up through the day. I love the days I carry something like my Coats custom. Nothing like a knife made to your own preferences...even tho it isn't cheap.

coats1.jpg

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Expensive being a relative term , I must complain that since I have started viewing this forum, I have spent more $$ on knives . The wife is starting to give me the eyeball , and I don't know how to tell her that I think I'm just getting warmed up.

In January I bought 2 of these.
    picture.php

Last month I bought one of these.
    picture.php

And I just ordered this little gem for myself.
    picture.php

And this one for momma.
    picture.php

You guys are killin' me :rockwoot:
    (sorry for the file photos, my digital camera isn't working at the moment)

Jeremy_A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Columbus*
    And I just ordered this little gem for myself.
    picture.php

And this one for momma.
    picture.php

You guys are killin' me :rockwoot:
    (sorry for the file photos, my digital camera isn't working at the moment)
    I got a pink ritter grip for myself and I'm doing my best to not buy a pink emerson. Pink is good, it usually goes to support my 2 most favorite things.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Expensive being a relative term , I must complain that since I have started viewing this forum, I have spent more $$ on knives .

This is very true, what is expensive to one person may be cheap to another. My collecting hit's both ends of the cost spectrum. I like CV Case knives from the 60's for example and I also collect some custom knives. But I also buy inexpensive knives of certain types...I have a jones for the early Elk Horn/Tayler Sharks for example. These were made in a bunch of colors, some with shields, some without, with several different tang marks. These can be picked up from anywhere from 10 to 30 bucks. I tend to look at value rather than costs...I seldom buy anything I can't make money on should I sell it and I do sell occasionally. Some knives I buy with resell in mind. I love finding knives who's names are misspelled on the 'bay for example.

The most important thing no matter the price is buying something that makes you happy regardless of what others think. :D

41mag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Carmel
    Although way out of my price range I was at a gun show with my brother and he dropped 1,100 on two knives . Heavily discounted microtec's very expensive but absolutely fantastic knives so whatever you feel comfortable with go for .

ZgGlock88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Indyish
    i remember how hard it was to justify my first 100 dollar knife but then i was hooked and will never buy a cheep poor quality knife again

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    i remember how hard it was to justify my first 100 dollar knife but then i was hooked and will never buy a cheep poor quality knife again

Agreed. Once you cross that line it's hard to go back... I used to buy knives as gifts for people on occasion. I can't anymore because I can't afford it! I can't even buy a cheap knife as a gift, if I'm buying a knife it's got to be decent quality even if I'm giving it away. It's a deadly disease!

ZgGlock88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Indyish
    Agreed. Once you cross that line it's hard to go back... I used to buy knives as gifts for people on occasion. I can't anymore because I can't afford it! I can't even buy a cheap knife as a gift, if I'm buying a knife it's got to be decent quality even if I'm giving it away. It's a deadly disease!
    i guess i have a deadly disease then too and love everyday of it:rockwoot:

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I think you have to define expensive. There's no way I can justify paying more than low to mid 100s for a good working knife. Now, from a collector's or artisan's point of view no justifying is needed.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I think you have to define expensive. There's no way I can justify paying more than low to mid 100s for a good working knife. Now, from a collector's or artisan's point of view no justifying is needed.

now see you and me are total opposites. i have no problem spending good money on a working usable blade, but for knives that are works of art and not really meant to be used i think they are beautiful and awesome but i won't pay money for them as i have no real use for a expensive knife sitting above my mantle. to each his own though. me i would prefer to drop the money on a awesome busse chopper and beat the **** out of it :)

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    now see you and me are total opposites. i have no problem spending good money on a working usable blade, but for knives that are works of art and not really meant to be used i think they are beautiful and awesome but i won't pay money for them as i have no real use for a expensive knife sitting above my mantle. to each his own though. me i would prefer to drop the money on a awesome busse chopper and beat the **** out of it :)

I don't think I was clear; my knives are all work knives with the exception of a commemorative one that cost ~$70. What I meant is that for collectible pieces, I can understand people spending several hundred if that is their hobby. What I can't understand is what a several hundred dollar work knife can do that a less expensive one of high quality (Scrapyard, etc) can't.

Top Bottom