Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    :rockwoot::rockwoot:

:D:D:D

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

My new Hunter from Cassel Knives is here!

Sorry for the poor pics it is dark out and I don't have any good illumination except the flash. . .

Write up to follow; have camping trip planned for the first weekend of June!

Any questions or what-not, have at it!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    the materials are as follows:

cpm154cm
    green canvas micarta
    stainless steel corby bolts
    OD kydex for the sheath

edge angle:

i put convex edges on most of my knives. which means they are sharpened on a slack belt. for me (and this is my experience, your opinions may vary) the convex edges seem to last longer, and are a bit less likely to chip out (something i have never had happen). in the begining i sharpened everything on a sharpmaker. it took forever, and always ran the chance of skipping a finished blade off the stones, scratching the snot out of it.

i put a convex edge on like this:

rough it out at 120 grit, create a burr
    skip up to 220 grit, reestablish the burr
    strop the burr off on an old leather belt
    create a burr with a 320 grit belt
    strop the burr off, same as before
    440 grit, burr
    leather belt to strop
    600 grit
    stropped to a finish.

this makes a very durable edge that i have had GREAT success with. other sharpening options are available if asked for, but this is my standard "cutting knife" sharpening. thick, prying knives usually stop at 220 grit edge...

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yeah. . . What he said!;)

I took it out hanging treestands on Saturday; wanted to see how far I could push it. Even as light as it is, it performed with aplomb. Small saplings were (somewhat) tediously hacked up, whittled, and split. Having managed to dull the edge a bit, I gave it a shot on the ole' diamond stone and was back in business for fuzz-stick creation and small mammal carving. . .:D

Speaking of the edge, what kind of hone may I expect from this steel, cubby? I can get it (hair) snagging sharp, but not "popping" sharp. . .Probably my stone/ technique, but just throwing it out there. . .:dunno:

VERY pleased so far. . . ! :rockwoot::D

Oh, quicky pic for the request:

P.S. Cubby, no joke about the Kydex grit holder.;)

Last edited:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i would strop before sharpening. as in, strop it after use, not sharpen. usually thats all it takes! when it needs sharpening, take a sharpmaker to is on which ever angle you would like. i would use the more acute angle......

if you use just the brown stones on a sharpmaker you get a toothy edge, not a polished edge. the stropping can slo be skipped if you want toothy. the strop lines up the micro edges and makes the cut more effortless, amd if you don;t line up the micro edge you get tiny teeth.

if you chop with it, let the knife do all the work. chopping with a light weight knife is not alot of fun.... but if you let the knife do it all (as in don't push through the object, let the knife make contact and the continued motion of the knife do all the work. loosen up a bit on the grip as the knife is about to make contact. don't loosen enough to lose the knife, but enough you dont shock your wrist) it is not too bad....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom