• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    I know one model from Benchmade has a national stock number(NSN). This means it is in the supply system. I need to refresh my memory. I don't think there is a standard auto knife for U.S. special forces. I could be wrong.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I think the Benchmade AFO (auto) has a NSN. Back in the day when I could buy Benchmade knives, I was accidently shipped a "military" AFO model....it came in a different colored Benchmade box than the regular production knife boxes that are used for the general public. When I was talking with Benchmade, trying to get this straightened out, I asked them about the box color....they said that their knives for the military came in that box color.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i got a couple benchmade auto's when i was in, granted i wasn't special force but they were decent little knives, if you want a auto though get a microtec or something and i am especially fond of the out the front kind like in brads picture by his name :)

and now for the disclaimer so the Feds don't run up in my spot i don't own any automatics and am not recommending someone buy one cause we know how serious it is lol

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I had a benchmade auto open when I was in and I had one made by Gerber(unfortunately I don't have any other info than that). I will tell you, the gerber was slightly bigger, but it was way more durable. I guess it will come down to ergo's and how it feels in your hand.

I'm not sure about federal, but I can tell you here in IN it is a B misdemeanor.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    i got a couple benchmade auto's when i was in, granted i wasn't special force but they were decent little knives, if you want a auto though get a microtec or something and i am especially fond of the out the front kind like in brads picture by his name :)

and now for the disclaimer so the Feds don't run up in my spot i don't own any automatics and am not recommending someone buy one cause we know how serious it is lol

Microtech makes a great OTF (out the front) auto...but I would not recommend an OTF auto for hard use or for combat/survival conditions. OTF autos in general are not as reliable as the out the side autos....a little dirt, pocket lent...ect. getting inside the workings can keep them from firing or retracting. OTF autos are cool and work fine for light everyday use but for hard use or "life is on the line" situations, go with an out the side. There are several companies besides Microtech that make high quality autos...ProTech, Lone Wolf, Benchmade, Zero Tolerance and others. If I was to pick one company..it's hard to beat the autos from ProTech.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i love protech autos very good knifes for very good prices, and for hard use lol i recommend a fixed blade that way you don't have to worry weather or not the knife opens you already know the deal in a stressful situation :)

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    i love protech autos very good knifes for very good prices, and for hard use lol i recommend a fixed blade that way you don't have to worry weather or not the knife opens you already know the deal in a stressful situation :)

I would have to agree with you 100% on having a fixed blade for hard use over any other type/style of knife, but if your comparing just between an OTF auto & an out the side auto....the out the side is going to be more reliable/durable and less susceptible to firing failures.

Antelope08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    New Palestine
    Remember auto knives are not legal in Indiana for anyone. I was in the retail cutlery business in Indy for 15 years and had several undercover officers try to get me to sell them one. They were always obivous and were usually state or DNR. I knew a guy several years ago selling at a show and they conficasted ALL is knives. He got them back after a few months and several thousand dollars in legal fees.

Contrary to popular beilef there is NO exception in the law for military or police officers to carry an auto knife in indiana. A military member, while in duty and in uniform may carry one if it is an issue item just like they can carry a pistil w/o a license. I had numerous IPD and Marion County Sheriffs over this 15 years try to get me to order them an auto. I told them if they would get me a letter from the Chief and or Sheriff I would do it, never got that letter.

I know you can buy them everwhere, but drugs are everywhere also. I have been at the Indy 1500 on more than one ocassion where they make an announcement to dealers to put away auto knives.

iAs to military issue, Benchmade did (they may still) make an issue auto knofe. Standard product just repackaged. It was not for any special group just an issue item.

FYI:

If you own a Benchade auto and have a warranty issue DO NOT send it to them yourself, they will not return it to you in Indiana (Auto are illegal). You will have to go through an authorized Benchmade dealer (they are few) to send it in. Remember just because someone sells Benchmade it does not mean they are an authorized dealer.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    lol antelope08 no worries this gets discussed about once a week, most everyone that comes into this sub forum knows that auto's are illegal no matter what, thought when i had my infidel and was sitting in a room full of cops they all thought it was a awesome knife and said nothing, but who knows you may run into someone who is worried about it :)

barricade

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    we are all free americans here aloud to ask any question we so choose, if you dont like that move to somwhere where you are the onlyone aloud to ask questions of any nature and the oppressed must bow and serve you , just sayin.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    If you own a Benchmade auto and have a warranty issue DO NOT send it to them yourself, they will not return it to you in Indiana (Auto are illegal). You will have to go through an authorized Benchmade dealer (they are few) to send it in. Remember just because someone sells Benchmade it does not mean they are an authorized dealer.

Microtech is the same way ....you have to go through a direct Microtech dealer for warranty issues. They will allow you to send them the knife, but you have to give them the name of the direct dealer you want the knife sent back to.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I'm all for a fixed blade. They make some mighty fine ones and very dependable. A lot of military personell carry them.
    TOPS, SOG, ZT, GERBER, ESEE, even KA-BARS still. :D

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I'm all for a fixed blade. They make some mighty fine ones and very dependable. A lot of military personell carry them.
    TOPS, SOG, ZT, GERBER, ESEE, even KA-BARS still. :D

I looked at your booth at the 1500 and have never been a big knife guy but there was a Ka-bar and ESEE that both caught my attention.

Top Bottom