• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I usually don't start a build thread until I am 90% or so done but per request here it goes:)

1911ly was kind enough to trust me with a complete build for him on a 300Wm 700 rifle that he himself said he wad disappointed in. When I received and had a chance to get a close look at it I have to admit it had some rough spots.

Larry provided this pic since I did not do a before of the gun prior to disassembly

Here are some of the things i found once it was apart

Had to see in the pics but there are burrs in the bolt raceway that were dragging on the bolt

very uneven contact on the face of the bolt

Only 1 bolt lug was making contact with the receiver lugs and very rough surface at that

Also the bolt handle timing was off. The cam on the bolt and the cam on the receiver never make contact.

inside of the receiver lugs.

After the receiver was dialed into the lathe we took a couple of short videos showing some of the tolerances. Everything is in relation to the bolt raceway

This is the internal lugs.

Face of the receiver

Worst of all, these are the barrel threads with a tap that has a long shaft on it with snug bushings farther back into the raceway. the threads on this were visible terrible

Now that the receiver is setup raceway is recut.

New face that will be concentric to the new/sleeved bolt

old threads

new threads, we cut the top off the old threads and then picked up the thread and opened them up. Had to go .015 over to get ride of the distortions from factory. you can cut the threads oversize if you are installing on a new barrel

New lugs

hard to tell much but the bolt raceway has been bored .005 over to remove impurities

Receiver is done for the most part. Bolt is in process now

Oh and i almost forgot. There is this 29" 1-10 twist Medium Palma 5R Bartlein Barrel that will chambered and cut to 26"

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Awesome Allen. I am not at all surprised to hear what you found. That Action felt like crap. Really sad for a new gun. the only good thing is I was planning on having you true what ever i got up anyway. And now you know what to expect with the second one I am sending.

This is going to be an awesome gun. Thanks for taking on my projects Allen. I can't wait to get behind it at the range! If you can get a few more inches on length of the barrel with that blank go for it. If you want to thread it and put a thread protector on it go for it too. I might put a break on it later.

Tim, yep. I will be bringing it to ring some steel!! I am hoping it's a steel ringing mo-fo. Providing the steel will take a 300wm.

Thanks again Allen. Great update!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Awesome Allen. I am not at all surprised to hear what you found. That Action felt like crap. Really sad for a new gun. the only good thing is I was planning on having you true what ever i got up anyway. And now you know what to expect with the second one I am sending.

This is going to be an awesome gun. Thanks for taking on my projects Allen. I can't wait to get behind it at the range! If you can get a few more inches on length of the barrel with that blank go for it. If you want to thread it and put a thread protector on it go for it too. I might put a break on it later.

Tim, yep. I will be bringing it to ring some steel!! I am hoping it's a steel ringing mo-fo. Providing the steel will take a 300wm.

Thanks again Allen. Great update!

Not sure on the 300 ballistic missile projectiles.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Yup.....no hot chicks and intense over bearing back ground music.

Awe come on guys, let's not get to carried away. :):

Allen, you should create a Youtube channel. They compress your video when you upload it. There software will take jitters out of your videos, let you and anecdotes etc.

Hows the project coming? I am like a kid a Christmas lol.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    1911ly,
    I have been reluctant to post the next update until Deene gave me word which way we are going on the bolt. I received word this morning that we have a direction.

The sleeving is cool and all and does a great job of mating the bolt to the receiver for fit and function....However it was decided that if we could create a one piece bolt from scratch like the custom bolts you would buy anywhere else then that would be the best was to go.
    Hardness was tested on the factory bolt and met or exceeded, so we now know that we will be making you a bolt from scratch and it is far enough along this will not be taking forever....Plus this allows us to do fluting which would be tough with a sleeve.....Not saying you are getting fluting.... but maybe :ar15:

You have agreed to pay a decent introductory price and are allowing me to use your rifle as a build to showcase our work. You will be getting much more then you paid for. Only thing is I can not find is an external bolt stop in stock anywhere. I was really hoping to do that to the receiver and I have one on back order .but I don't know if it will arrive in time.

Your new bolt will be fitted with and M16 extractor also. I know this is killing you but patience is a virtue :)

Some bolt blanks:

Setting up to 3D mill the lugs

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Awesome Allen. I've got plenty of patience's. I appreciate you going the extra mile on it! It gets done when it's done, NP! I am not in a rush at all. I am honored to be the owner of the first build you've done of this kind. I like I said earlier "Build it like it's your own rifle" and if we go over budget just give me a heads up.

I know this is going to be so worth the wait. I look forward to the updates. #2 rifle is ready to go out the door to you when this one is done.

Thanks Allen qnd Deene. Keep up the awesome work. You guys are amazing. I am very impressed with your craftsmanship. At some point we should link this over to the Gunsmithing forum. I know it will get a lot of attention over there.

Larry :ingo:

Deene Vanmeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2016
    Plainfield
    I think you will like what we are doing and have planned. Allen and I only want the best work we can do to go out the door. And I am having a lot of fun with this build. Thanks Larry

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I think you will like what we are doing and have planned. Allen and I only want the best work we can do to go out the door. And I am having a lot of fun with this build. Thanks Larry

Np Deene, I totally understand. I work for myself and I have the same work ethic. And having fun is important too. A stressful job sucks. I have worked for myself for the last 15 years. I enjoy work a lot more now. And I get to work on the projects I want to work on.

I wish I were closer because this stuff is fascinating to me. I have worked on CNC machines before and I know a lot of really good machinists. I have learn a bit but not as much as I would like to.

Thanks for getting involved in the 700 projects with Allen. I have a feeling that lots of really cool stuff is going to come out of the shop with the two of you working together.

Thanks Deene

Larry

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I just looked up 700 bolt stop and found some info. And I think I figured out what you are doing. Adding a external bolt stop? Most cool and well worth the wait.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Np Deene, I totally understand. I work for myself and I have the same work ethic. And having fun is important too. A stressful job sucks. I have worked for myself for the last 15 years. I enjoy work a lot more now. And I get to work on the projects I want to work on.

I wish I were closer because this stuff is fascinating to me. I have worked on CNC machines before and I know a lot of really good machinists. I have learn a bit but not as much as I would like to.

Thanks for getting involved in the 700 projects with Allen. I have a feeling that lots of really cool stuff is going to come out of the shop with the two of you working together.

Thanks Deene

Larry

Me too :)

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I just looked up 700 bolt stop and found some info. And I think I figured out what you are doing. Adding a external bolt stop? Most cool and well worth the wait.

I hope i didn't speak out of turn if I cant get one

Top Bottom