• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I am posting this in here because it is easier to point others to my work then sifting through the Gunsmith section

This is a Commander build for an INGO member that is ready to go home...after I shoot it one final time.

Built on a Caspian Frame and slide and top of the line internals.

Slide is not pictured, Caspian sent wrong slide which delayed start of project

First step I did was bobtail the frame. I have tried to use this plate to hold a frame for bobtaililing but nothing lined up. I drilled my own locator holes and let it mark the plate so I would not have to search next time

A little blending

Checkered front strap

Using a ramped barrel so I had to cut the frame for a Para Ramp

Barrel frame and slide fit

Blending back end of gun

Fitting a keyed reverse recoil plug

Starting to take shape

One of my tricks to reliability is getting more slide travel from a Commander. Gun on the right is factory Commander on slide lock. Gun on the left is mine on slide lock

Next little nugget is using a 1/2" bit, cutting feed ramp to slightly different angle the 31 degrees that the 45 likes

After

After cutting barrel crown

Getting close. Mocked up for test fire going to use a different thumb safety and obviously grip screws. after test fire I discovered I had to get a shorter front sight

Finished product short of final test fire. There are some oil smudges in a couple of pic. not defects :)

Last edited:

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Do the 10mm and 45acp both prefer the 31 degree angle on the feed ramp?

I have had better results with a steeper cut on barrels with a feed ramp, even 45.
    Standard 45 with non feed ramp barrels are good with 31.
    Side note 45's don't like a feed ramp barrel as well as standard configuration. The bullet hits the feed ramp to low and the ramp really helps to be cut. I have limited experience with 45 barrels with feed ramp most are not setup that way

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have had better results with a steeper cut on barrels with a feed ramp, even 45.
    Standard 45 with non feed ramp barrels are good with 31.
    Side note 45's don't like a feed ramp barrel as well as standard configuration. The bullet hits the feed ramp to low and the ramp really helps to be cut. I have limited experience with 45 barrels with feed ramp most are not setup that way

I was wondering about the low hits on the ramp and if the cut helped on non round nose ammo.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    On a non ramped barrel? Probably not, are you having an issue with one?

That Springfield Champion Lightweight Loaded you did the refinishing on.
    It started nosing in solid on the ramp with JHPs. It's still fine with FMJ 230.
    I hadn't had any issues out of it since I got it years back. Never a failure.
    I was practicing with it a week or so ago and it started acting up.
    First thing I did was change to new mags, then changed to a new recoil spring assembly, cleaned, gave a close eyeball to the whole stripped down to the bare bone gun.
    I put it back together, re-lube, and it's still not wanting to let the JHP slide up the ramp to the throat.
    Round count over 20K now.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    This gun is even more amazing in person. I've got the joy of seeing it during the different build stages. Pone of the many perks of the job working for AllenM at Diamind Collision.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    That Springfield Champion Lightweight Loaded you did the refinishing on.
    It started nosing in solid on the ramp with JHPs. It's still fine with FMJ 230.
    I hadn't had any issues out of it since I got it years back. Never a failure.
    I was practicing with it a week or so ago and it started acting up.
    First thing I did was change to new mags, then changed to a new recoil spring assembly, cleaned, gave a close eyeball to the whole stripped down to the bare bone gun.
    I put it back together, re-lube, and it's still not wanting to let the JHP slide up the ramp to the throat.
    Round count over 20K now.

I would have started with the same things you did. With that many trouble free rounds I would still look for something other then the feedramp. lmk if you want a second opinon

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I would have started with the same things you did. With that many trouble free rounds I would still look for something other then the feedramp. lmk if you want a second opinon

That's a very good looking gun.
    I've got enough going through my mind right now to figure out how to add one to the mix. I'm NOT a stainless fan. Old guys love deep blueing and wood I guess.
    Thanks Allen, I appreciate it. You're one of the very few I'd trust.

It IS a ramped barrel.
    I was tinkering with it last night. Too full in the belly to be too active so I took to easier tasks.
    I noticed the mag had more drop down to it than my other 1911s in the safe. I'm going to change out the mag release today and see if that helps.
    I had a Kimber I had to change one out on a couple of years ago that started acting up on all ammo.
    IF IF IF I can't figure this out I'll make the hour + drive up to see you.
    I'm still on the coffee IV drip and I'll get motivated in a few minutes. Neighbors might want to sleep in so I'll delay for a bit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's a very good looking gun.
    I've got enough going through my mind right now to figure out how to add one to the mix. I'm NOT a stainless fan. Old guys love deep blueing and wood I guess.
    Thanks Allen, I appreciate it. You're one of the very few I'd trust.

It IS a ramped barrel.
    I was tinkering with it last night. Too full in the belly to be too active so I took to easier tasks.
    I noticed the mag had more drop down to it than my other 1911s in the safe. I'm going to change out the mag release today and see if that helps.
    I had a Kimber I had to change one out on a couple of years ago that started acting up on all ammo.
    IF IF IF I can't figure this out I'll make the hour + drive up to see you.
    I'm still on the coffee IV drip and I'll get motivated in a few minutes. Neighbors might want to sleep in so I'll delay for a bit.

If and when you do hit me up. We need to have a cup somewhere.

Top Bottom