• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    A little something we are proud to participate with.

Diamond Collision was honored to be asked to participate with a non profit organization called Recycled Rides to fix up and give a car to a single mom in need.

State farm generously donated a low miles theft recovered vehicle that was sitting at an impound yard. Recycled Rides Vetted the recipient and we took care of conditioning.

The car was actually in pretty good shape, but needed some attention. We replaced tires and a battery along with doing an oil change and general tune up and some minor body repairs.
    The car cleaned up very nicely Which we were able to present to the new owner Monday 4-27.
    Arrived at our shop, Nice little Jetta

We ended up painting both bumpers having some PDR work done along with wheels reconditioned and new tires.

20200430_125338 by Allen Moore, on Flickr

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    That’s a awesome program to be part of. We have done some community projects through work that brings everyone together for a great cause.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks, it was fun to be a part of and will probably do it again in the future

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    That is a pretty good thing you did Allen. I presume this is a vehicle that the original owner was paid by insurance for, and then the car was subsequently found?

Another thing I wondered about. What about cars that are "totaled?" I understand the economic price of repair is beyond what it's worth, and they get trashed. Is there any possibility that certain vehicles may be damaged enough to be "totaled," and yet might be able to be reconditioned into a useable vehicle, with a reasonable amount of donated time? Or does that totally violate the premises and/or stated rules of insurance? Do you think the insurance companies would ever consider this, or is it a "bridge too far?"

Not trying to tell you how to do your job of course, but just something I wondered about. A lot of times, "totaled" cars don't seem that damaged to me?

Thanks again for what you do. And I know who I will be coming to, if I ever need the services you offer.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    That is a pretty good thing you did Allen. I presume this is a vehicle that the original owner was paid by insurance for, and then the car was subsequently found?

Another thing I wondered about. What about cars that are "totaled?" I understand the economic price of repair is beyond what it's worth, and they get trashed. Is there any possibility that certain vehicles may be damaged enough to be "totaled," and yet might be able to be reconditioned into a useable vehicle, with a reasonable amount of donated time? Or does that totally violate the premises and/or stated rules of insurance? Do you think the insurance companies would ever consider this, or is it a "bridge too far?"

Not trying to tell you how to do your job of course, but just something I wondered about. A lot of times, "totaled" cars don't seem that damaged to me?

Thanks again for what you do. And I know who I will be coming to, if I ever need the services you offer.

I do not know the circumstances surrounding the car itself. I assume the same thing you do.

As far as repairing a totaled vehicle, once again as you say the cost of the repairs may exceed the value of the car, but here in Indiana insurance companies consider a car totaled once cost of repairs reach 70% of the cars value. with some exceptions to that rule.

This accounts for salvage value and unexpected costs during repairs, along with rental cost and some other factors. Most of the time when something is totaled it is because the car is not worth to much, but yes it could be retained and fixed as long as all of the safety features of the car are restored properly. That is where cost comes in and nobody in their right mind would want to repair a car for someone else and have it be unsafe.
    So when you factor in Crush zones and air bag components and other electronics that you find on newer cars repair costs go up pretty quickly.

Not that it can't be done but its pretty hard to rebuild a total safely and come out ahead. Cost of buying them has went way up to.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Nice work and giving back to the community Allen. Just another reason that no one else besides Diamond will get any of my body work.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Well done Allen! Admire the way you and Debbie are always willing to help those in need. I’m curious about one thing in your post, do you recondition wheels or send them out. Car looked great after you did your magic.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Well done Allen! Admire the way you and Debbie are always willing to help those in need. I’m curious about one thing in your post, do you recondition wheels or send them out. Car looked great after you did your magic. 

We send them out

Top Bottom