• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I know I'm not the only one that's tired of it. Can anything be done to fix it?

Example: Go type 'sad but true', without the quotes. There's a thread called "The sad but true picture thread"

The search shows it on the 2nd or 3rd page of results. Now try it quoted ("sad but true")... result is first page, but it's more than halfway down. There was a post in it yesterday, and it's buried by old threads that must have those words in them or something?

I think the search absolutely should show threads that contain names/words/etc within the posts... but can it prioritize relevant thread titles before threads that contain the words?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have a similar problem, I try to remember a word, in the title, but when I hit search, the word, comes up, in the content of the thread .....

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Why not use the advanced search where you can search thread titles rather than content?

I too find the search function lacking, but I generally do what Snapdragon is suggesting. With advanced search you can set it to search "thread titles only."

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Oh I'm aware of the advanced search... but as someone that has to find threads often, those extra 2-3 clicks are a first world problem. The default search box at the top-right should just work in a logical way.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    How about you subscribe the the threads you have to find often.

I pretty much stay auto-subscribed to every thread I contribute to.

... But that's a lot of threads. That one thread, for example, was back a few pages. Would be excellent to just type the main words of the thread title in that little white box and see it right there.

Don't know why I have to get so much resistance on this. I know there are other ways to search, but if the search worked how it should, that would be ideal.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I pretty much stay auto-subscribed to every thread I contribute to.

... But that's a lot of threads. That one thread, for example, was back a few pages. Would be excellent to just type the main words of the thread title in that little white box and see it right there.

Don't know why I have to get so much resistance on this. I know there are other ways to search, but if the search worked how it should, that would be ideal.

Who determines how the search should work?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Who determines how the search should work?

The users of VBulletin forums.
    The VBulletin community.
    The people that have experience administrating forums (not necesarilly powered by VBulletin)
    And general logic should dictate how a search function works. Typing 75% of a thread title, only to find it buried under years-old threads isn't logical.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    As though the search function couldn't get worse... It has.

Instead of just digging through old and irrelevant threads unrelated to your search, now you can sift through the same threads multiple times to dig down and find what you're looking for.

It's not just this thread. Every page is full of the same threads repeated.

ySqRe9I.png

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I used to use Google Advanced Search within the INGO domain, but it doesn't seem to return good results as it once did? :dunno:

Maybe someone knows a better work around?

Top Bottom