• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Its a phishing attack via a hostile ad from Fenway's advertising provider.

Nothing is wrong. They are trying to con you into calling the phone number. When you are on the line with the bad guy, he will have to surf to a website that he claims will be used to fix your PC. One of two things will happen: It will give him control of the PC and allow him to claim he found the problem. At which point he will tell you to fix it will cost X dollars and if you refuse he will likely trash your file system. Or he will encrypt everything on your drive and if you dont send him $$ you wont get access to your files ever again (ransomware, usually automated).

If you want to have some fun, call the number and jerk their chain. They are criminals and worth taunting.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    IF it persists no matter what webpage you visit you likely have some form of malware trying to get you to pay them money. I've removed these same kinds for people using malwarebytes. It's free, you can download it for free and it will find and remove that junk.

I will add the full scan does take a good 30 minutes to an hour.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I got it on INGO as well two days ago. Malwarebytes isn't detecting anything on my system. Closed out of Chrome through task manager, logged back in and everything was fine.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep...I saw that..Just shut down my computer and stayed away from the classifieds...

The advertiser ads in the classifieds are the same ads in other areas. The only way to stay away is to leave INGO entirely. :(

ETA: Unless someone put up an ad in the classifieds that has the malicious link in the item ad itself.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I ran into the same problem from another site earlier this year. The notice wants you to click on the confirmation button. Once you do, you have just given permission for it to download to your computer and install a trojan. Mine was disquised as Google Chrome. It installed a complete directory of a phony Google Chrome and the active trojan file changed its name each time the computer was booted. I was able to stop the trojan file by renaming the file and then killing it in Task Manager, but it would start again with a different name when the computer was rebooted. I had to deny the computer access to the internet until I was able to find software that would clean my system. I ended up using Norton Eraser. It was the only software at the time that could find it and remove it. Needless to say, it was a nightmare.

Top Bottom