• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I tried to give rep to a member, and the 1-10 number choices were gone. I was still allowed to rep, but I assume at a +1 value. Is this a permanent change, or something that occurred inadvertently this morning?

And while we're on the subject of rep, I'm going to repeat something I've said via PM to mods and have gotten no response. I think that the rep pyramid threads undermine the whole purpose of the rep system. I've earned my rep through positive contributions to the forum, and to see an INGO-sponsored thread that is just one big circle-rep is very disheartening.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    To equate the reputation you've earned through positive interactions with the amount of rep points you've accumulated would be an error.

One of those has some value, the other: none.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Some work is being done on the server right now and hopefully things will be fixed, soon.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You actually gave +/- 0 rep (a gray pip) to the person you repped... I did the same, and sadly, I cannot change it.

There were some server changes last night, and the bugs are still being worked out. I don't expect that this will be a permanent change.

I don't recall you mentioning this thought to me, reference the rep pyramid thread(s), however, I am in agreement with you. I don't participate in them, and I think that rep should be something you obtain and earn by creating and proving your reputation. These opinions are my own, not official INGO positions.

Blessings,
    Bill

I tried to give rep to a member, and the 1-10 number choices were gone. I was still allowed to rep, but I assume at a +1 value. Is this a permanent change, or something that occurred inadvertently this morning?

And while we're on the subject of rep, I'm going to repeat something I've said via PM to mods and have gotten no response. I think that the rep pyramid threads undermine the whole purpose of the rep system. I've earned my rep through positive contributions to the forum, and to see an INGO-sponsored thread that is just one big circle-rep is very disheartening.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    To equate the reputation you've earned through positive interactions with the amount of rep points you've accumulated would be an error.

One of those has some value, the other: none.

Truth. But the point total should, IMHO, reflect the reputation of the member.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Two views how to look at this. On one hand, as a principled view, the rep system should be a sort of meritocracy where you earn good or bad reputation and that is reflected in your accumulated rep. If that is the case, the rep pyramid is indeed a circle jerk.

On the other hand, as a practical view, you earn a positive or negative reputation in the minds of members anyway, whether you receive any actual points or not. People don't need to see the rep badges under your screen name to know what reputation you really have. You can have max rep, but if you're a jerk, people know it. Maybe some people participate in the rep pyramid because they value the trophy more than the accomplishment, but I think a lot of people participate as a game to express the meaninglessness of rep points.

Not that each rep point earned is not valuable to the individuals who get repped; I appreciate the sentiment when people rep me. But that rep isn't valuable to everyone else. If I displayed my rep, no one else would care how much I've earned. I don't care about their points. I KNOW what their reputation is without having to see the score.

I think the practical view fits reality better. Because of the way rep is actually practiced, the principled view is not very realistic. It ought to be that way, but it isn't. It probably can't be. It could be better. A rep system isn't completely without value. It's of some value to have the ability to reward someone for saying something you really agree with, or to let them know you did not appreciate what they said. But our rep system is too complicated. It tries to be more precise than is practical. It's like putting a precision scope on a blunderbus. A simple binary like/dislike would be better. I don't like the concept of points, because I just can't neg-rep people, even when I don't like what they said. I could thumbs-down them though.

I'd like to see the current system dropped and just add a like/dislike. Then in the user's cp, there could be a tally of likes/dislikes. And display the likes/dislikes on the post. If rep is supposed to serve as feedback, that would be more of a feedback system than a trophy system. And drop the limits. Really pisses me off when I can't rep someone I think needs repped.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Two views how to look at this. On one hand, as a principled view, the rep system should be a sort of meritocracy where you earn good or bad reputation and that is reflected in your accumulated rep. If that is the case, the rep pyramid is indeed a circle jerk.

On the other hand, as a practical view, you earn a positive or negative reputation in the minds of members anyway, whether you receive any actual points or not. People don't need to see the rep badges under your screen name to know what reputation you really have. You can have max rep, but if you're a jerk, people know it. Maybe some people participate in the rep pyramid because they value the trophy more than the accomplishment, but I think a lot of people participate as a game to express the meaninglessness of rep points.

Not that each rep point earned is not valuable to the individuals who get repped; I appreciate the sentiment when people rep me. But that rep isn't valuable to everyone else. If I displayed my rep, no one else would care how much I've earned. I don't care about their points. I KNOW what their reputation is without having to see the score.

I think the practical view fits reality better. Because of the way rep is actually practiced, the principled view is not very realistic. It ought to be that way, but it isn't. It probably can't be. It could be better. A rep system isn't completely without value. It's of some value to have the ability to reward someone for saying something you really agree with, or to let them know you did not appreciate what they said. But our rep system is too complicated. It tries to be more precise than is practical. It's like putting a precision scope on a blunderbus. A simple binary like/dislike would be better. I don't like the concept of points, because I just can't neg-rep people, even when I don't like what they said. I could thumbs-down them though.

I'd like to see the current system dropped and just add a like/dislike. Then in the user's cp, there could be a tally of likes/dislikes. And display the likes/dislikes on the post. If rep is supposed to serve as feedback, that would be more of a feedback system than a trophy system. And drop the limits. Really pisses me off when I can't rep someone I think needs repped.

Though I'm sure the like/dislike feature would soon too get abused and become meaningless.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I don't recall you mentioning this thought to me, reference the rep pyramid thread(s), however, I am in agreement with you. I don't participate in them, and I think that rep should be something you obtain and earn by creating and proving your reputation. These opinions are my own, not official INGO positions.

Blessings,
    Bill

I agree also, I did participate in the rep threads once though. It was shortly after the change and after I had repped some people I got a message I was out of rep, this went on for about a week. As in I was unable to rep anyone for a week. I was receiving a message something like "you are out of reputation points to give, you must earn more" or something, so I went in the thread participated once and have been able to rep ever since. No idea if it was a glitch or a feature.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Even on a silly thing (in the big scheme of things) like rep points, why can't people be left alone to enjoy the site the way they wish to without others feeling the need to stop them because "they're not doing it the way I like"? If you want to goof around on the pyramid, do it...I did it originally, after the big reset to see if I could get more points than Chez :p . If you think there's some value and you get a measure of self esteem from gathering bonafide rep points, I'm all for you.

I've read comments where people dislike single emoji posts that some are known to make on regular occasions and I've read posts in the past that put down the PW threads. Why can't people just leave each other alone and if they do something they don't like, that's not affecting them one bit, just ignore them?

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Even on a silly thing (in the big scheme of things) like rep points, why can't people be left alone to enjoy the site the way they wish to without others feeling the need to stop them because "they're not doing it the way I like"? If you want to goof around on the pyramid, do it...I did it originally, after the big reset to see if I could get more points than Chez :p . If you think there's some value and you get a measure of self esteem from gathering bonafide rep points, I'm all for you.

I've read comments where people dislike single emoji posts that some are known to make on regular occasions and I've read posts in the past that put down the PW threads. Why can't people just leave each other alone and if they do something they don't like, that's not affecting them one bit, just ignore them?

Lol, I gave up... Eventually I determined you must simply have more time than me!

So what you guys are saying. Rep is a matter of the greater will.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    iStock_000003717657XSmall.jpg

Top Bottom